Moving to Germany ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by dpickup, Aug 3, 2007.

1. dpickup

dpickup New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Lancashire
    Hi All,

may be moving to Germany for 6 months (due to work) and the thought of leaving my Tivo behind is bringing me out in cold sweats !

Does anyone know if it will work, what won't work, how I do it etc etc etc etc ?????

Thanks in advance,
    David

2. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    Providing you have a network card in your TiVo or a UUNet POP in Germany you can use there is no problem at all with using the TiVo outside the UK. And generally Sky is gettable outside the UK, depending on geography.

3. mesaka

mesaka travelling member

Sep 27, 2002
    You will need of course to bring your satellite system with you (possibly you will need a bigger dish depending on where you live in Germany). If you have a cachecard then you will obviously need an internet connection. If using the modem then as mentioned you will need to add the uunet pop number under settings - you will also need to change the telephone lead as well (relatively inexpensive).

But it all works perfectly...I can guarantee that! :)

4. boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Your other option if you are feeling really flush would be to get a sling box. Then you can leave your Tivo over here, record all of your favorite shows and watch them from Germany....

I'd love to get one - really have no need for it though...

5. Jumpin_Joe

Jumpin_Joe Member

Dec 26, 2003
    Chicago
    While I live in the USA, a friend of mine is an expat in London. She logs into my Tivo via my Slingbox each Saturday and Sunday morning (her time) to watch the shows I've recorded for her in the past week.

6. b166er

b166er New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Brit in...
    No worries. Same voltage. You have the choice of getting your daily call by telephone (by dialling a UUNET local number, which is cheap), or you can let it call the UK. Either works fine. If you get your data via network currently then it'll just keep working without change.

Your only option for receiving any kind of signal here (there ;) ) is Sky. You can buy a second hand box on ebay pretty cheaply and get a freesat card for the main channels. Dish size required will vary. As a rough guide, Hamburg would be about a 60cm, Frankfurt 80-90cm and as far down as Munich a 100-120cm. I have an oval 100cm wide 1.2m high dish down near Munich and only lose my signal for about 10 minutes during the heavy summer thunderstorms.

Here's a forum for expats living in Germany: http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/ you'll find FAQ topics about moving there, registering yourself, getting broadband, telephone service and setting up satellite.

7. dpickup

dpickup New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Lancashire
    Sorry for not being back sooner, just been over there, and only popped back for the week.

Some excellent news then I will be taking Tivo !

just one dumb question.........

what is and how do I get a UUnet POP account ?
    (no netwrok card but this may be the reason for getting one)

Thanks
    David

8. kitschcamp

kitschcamp Tweaked and poked

May 18, 2001
    Adelaide,...
    They are now actually run by Verizon, but you choose a telephone number local(ish) to you and put it in the telephone settings followed by 2 commas. See here for an example.