Moving to "Free Wi-Fi" Apartment...Options?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by michael1248, Apr 16, 2011.

1. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    In a few weeks I will be moving to a complex which offers free Wi-Fi.

Will I be able to stream movies and get the HD menus on my premiere utilizing the complex's free Wi-Fi?

If not, can I get the HD menus on the apartment's Wi-Fi and stream Netflix using a router...or, is it one or the other?

One last question: I do realize I have to repeat the guided set-up. I will be going from a Comcast system to Time Warner. Everything works fine right now. Do I have to give up the M cable card to Comcast, or can I keep it and just give the serial number to Time Warner when I do the guided set up?

2. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    My guess would be probably not. Consider that you'll be sharing the WiFi with everyone else in the complex. All it takes is one kid running bittorrent to mess up bandwidth usage for everyone. It really depends on the complex, maybe they have a system or policies in place to ensure quality.

The premiere's HDUI is reported to be extremely fickle when dealing with flaky wireless connections.

A router isn't going to do you much good, as it's only as good as it's WAN connection, which would be your shared wifi. A properly configured router may offer you some additional security though by firewalling devices in your apartment away from the rest of the complex.

3. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Yes you will have to give the m-card back to Comcast they own the card.

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It is impossible to know this without trying. It depends on available bandwidth and latency. As was mentioned, if the system is under a lot of load, your experience will be poor. WiFi also adds additional latency and the HDUI is not known for being efficient when it comes to poor latency or bandwidth.

It will likely "work" no matter what. Netflix, for example, will just scale back resolution/quality to deal with a poorer quality connection.

As also mentioned, adding a router will make absolutely no difference, it is your uplink to the ISP that matters (and theirs to the appropriate sites), and you would still be going through that.

So you must "wait and see". If you are not happy, you might have to get your own DSL or cable modem setup.

5. 1080p guy

1080p guy New Member

Mar 29, 2011
    I don't know what's already been said,but I have always prefered "wired" to "wireless" for anything other than casual internet browsing. I have Linksys E2000 wireless N router that has "gigabyte" ethernet ports. I have the router placed close enough to my Premiere to be "wired" to the router! Truth be to told I (though no longer necessary) prefer to be wired. I love the speed & stability!

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Anything the Premiere can do wired it can do with wireless. it's not that fast with a 100mb/s connection. I can connect my premiere to one of my Dlink Wireless Bridges and I will get identical speed to when it's connected to my gigabit network. I will still get 85mb/s to 95mb/s transfer rates, and of course Netflix streaming is no issue.

if the wireless is setup properly to give plenty of bandwidth there should be no issues. Of course this is my private wireless network. I have four access point optimally placed to give me plenty of bandwidth for my wireless devices. A public one will typically have low bandwidth to begin with and have too many people accessing it as well.