Moving to Canada - who supports Cablecard?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by grahamwright1, Apr 10, 2016.

1. grahamwright1

grahamwright1 New Member

Sep 24, 2005

Advertisements

Looks like we will be moving up to Canada for a while, and I'd like to take my Roamio Pro with me. Does anyone know if any of the Canadian (Ontario) cable vendors offer CableCard's or do they force you to use their equipment?

2. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    CableCard is a U.S.-only standard mandated by the FCC. No Canadian cable companies support it.

3. grahamwright1

grahamwright1 New Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Not the answer I was hoping for, but many thanks anyway!

4. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    "TiVo devices are available in Canada for Cogeco Cable customers."
    TiVo in Canada: FAQ
    Don't get too excited... I don't think you can bring your own TiVo, you might check.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  5. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles

Advertisements

You ought to at least wait until after the election, unless you're trying to beat the rush.

6. grahamwright1

grahamwright1 New Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Figured the border is going to be pretty busy, so I'd get an early start

7. grahamwright1

grahamwright1 New Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Hmm, good point and I'll try to contact them and find out. Many thanks!

8. ertyu

ertyu Member

Nov 4, 2003
    While there are no Canadian companies I'm aware of supporting Cablecard, especially for 3rd party access, many of the cable companies use Cablecards in the set-top boxes they deploy. In some cases you may be able to purchase a set-top box from the provider that uses a cablecard and transfer it to a TiVo and service will keep working.

9. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    All cable providers "support" cablecard.

I put "support" as their set top boxes DO use cablecards. HOWEVER, they do not support third party boxes and will nor provide subscribers with just the card

The reason is Canadian cable providers use the exact same equipment that US cable companies do, and all the new boxes all do cablecard because they were designed for the US market. However, the cable companies pre-pair the card and units together and log it down. They will only activate boxes they sell (either direct or via a retailer) - the activation code is basically the host ID (because the unit is pre-paired and everything).

It is highly unlikely your Roamio will work. If you want to experiment, you could try activating the cable box, and then move the card to your TiVo and see if that works. After all, if it screws up the card, you can always innocently bring it back as non-working. (On my cableboxes, the M-Card slot is just screwed shut, there is no seal).

Oh yeah - don't bother buying any third party boxes and bringing them up, or buying a box ahead of time. No provider will activate a box they didn't sell, and that also means even if you buy a compatible box from a Canadian provider that's not your own, they won't activate that. (E.g., if your provider is Shaw, they won't activate Rogers, Cogeco, etc)

And no, no Canadian has any love for their cable company. If you wonder what the US would've been like if the FCC didn't make those laws, come to Canada. Even Comcast's X1 set top box is more advanced than what you will find. We're backwards, telecommunications wise (TV, phone, internet).

10. leswar

leswar leswar

Apr 14, 2005
    Vero Beach
    Whatever happen to the TiVo Canada hackers on Yahoo groups a few back.
    They re-purposed S1 & S2 TiVos for Canada. I think they dissolved because Canada official got TiVo service. So did that (TiVo service) disappear too?

11. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Pretty much, because back then, the S1 and S2 TiVos worked with OTA and cable in Canada just as well as they did in the US. I still have a S2DT, because it works with a cable box which is digital

These days, all Canadian cable providers, at least the big ones (Rogers, Shaw) are encrypted QAM and have dropped analog cable entirely.

And with none of them approving 3rd party units not supplied by them, and with all signals being encrypted QAM (no more analog) short of ripping a cablecard out of one of the boxes and putting it in TiVo, there is no way to do it.

The only way to use TiVo in Canada is a S1/S2 via a cable box (SDTV only) or go OTA. It won't work with cable. And the cableboxes look like something from a decade back - it's amazing how much TiVo can spur the competition to giving you stuff like the Comcast X1 and others.

12. viperdiablo

viperdiablo New Member

Sep 2, 2015
    That's exactly what I did. Took the cable card out of my own dcx3400. Put that card into a tivo. Roamio . This worked with two providers in Canada. The trickiest part if I can say that was setting up a account with tivo. As there online activation process although it shows you can enter a canadian address it won't go.through. You have to set up a American address .

13. grahamwright1

grahamwright1 New Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Do you remember which CDN cable providers it worked with?

Were you able to get any guide data for the CDN provider? How?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  14. viperdiablo

viperdiablo New Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Two providers were Shaw and eastlink. The setup process of the TiVo allows you to select either canada or USA as country of residence. After selecting Canada it asks for postal code. After it asks you to selcct your provider. All guide data is available. No VOD. Netflix, Spotify and youtube work.

15. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    With TiVo, I recall there was two ways. Before they had their systems set up for Canada, you used a special address.

Basically your street address in Address Line 1, your city, province and postal code in Line 2, then Leo, WY, 82327 in the City, State and Zip fields.

My Canadian account is set up that way, and the page is gone now, but that's how TiVO had told people how to do it. It displays correctly - you see your address, but not Leo, WY, in the address field.

As I only have a 648 series 3 with S-Cards only, I can't verify this method still works (using the M-Card from an activated box with TiVo). Though if I can get a bolt I could try this with one of my DVRs. Is it as simple as activating the box, making sure it works, then just sticking it in TiVo? Or is there some setup required to get it to work (not sure how it's supposed to be done)..

16. viperdiablo

viperdiablo New Member

Sep 2, 2015
    With regards to setting up a TiVo account. I did this a year ago and it allowed you to ,online, enter Canadian address info but would never go through (accept it) . So you are right about entering a special address. Here is some info taken from a vpn providers website on what needs to be done.

" Use your own street address that is associated with the billing address on the credit card you are using and convert the postal code into a valid zip code as per our instructions below. Be sure to take note of the city and state associated with the new zip code as you need this for your account set up.

- Construct a VALID existing 5 digit ZIP code from your postal code as follows:

- Take the digits from your postcode. The post code M1R 2L1 becomes 121.

- Add zeros to the end if you have less than 5 digits in your postal code. So the 121 becomes ZIP 12100

- Use the USPS zip code tool to verify that it is a valid existing ZIP code.

- If it is not an existing code, then add 1 to the last digit and try to verify again. So if our example of 12100 is not a valid zip code, then try 12101. If still not valid add one to the last digit until you get to 12107, which is a valid US ZIP Code."

As for the mcard. I already had a activated dcx3400 digital box. I just took that mcard out and placed it into the TiVo . Went through the setup process and worked no problem. I believe only a mcard will work in the TiVo not a s card. Could be wrong on that though.

17. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah. My 648 TiVo S3 is S-cards only. But if I can just take the mcard from my activated box and use that directly, then I'd probably upgrade to a Bolt. Or get that TV tuner card for my HTPC with card support.

I wonder if TiVo's way of signing up with a Canadian address still works with their systems - like I said, using their Leo, WY address which triggers some sort of special handing of the address. That was TiVo's way of handling it in their systems, and they handle the billing, etc correctly that way.

Interestingly, Cogeco offers TiVo service... http://www.cogeco.ca/web/on/en/residential/tv/tivo_overview/ since 2014.

18. viperdiablo

viperdiablo New Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Yes congeco I believe is the only provider in Canada to use TiVo. They use the roamio pro model . They are only in the Easter canada provinces. Ontario and Quebec I believe . I don't think they will activate a store bought TiVo bolt or roamio.
    Using the method I outlined above worked to activate online. I know someone awhile back said talking to a TiVo rep they actually set up a special address . So you may be correct on the Leo ,wy address. The way I have done it has worked for over a year. No billing issues.

19. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    yeah, no provider in Canada will activate anything they didn't sell. You can't even buy a Shaw box and use it on Rogers, for example. They only activate boxes they sold (or sold through resellers).

Guess we'll; have to keep the fact that their cards don't require pairing to ourselves otherwise they'll crack down and deactivate all the cards that aren't in the right boxes.

20. Jethroh

Jethroh New Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Hi,
    Any new info about using Tivo and switching in M-Card cable card from an existing Shaw digital box?
    We just bought a Tivo Bolt that does OTA but it would be way better with cable, I'm.
    I will probably to try this unless I confirm there's is absolutely no way it would work and it would mess the Cable Card up so it was unusable anywhere. Any advice out there if someone has tried this?
    My Shaw box is a DCX3510 M.

Thanks,
    Jeff