Moving, TiVo, HD questions

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Chris Gerhard, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Feb 3, 2007 #1 of 31
    Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR

Advertisements

I called to move service, hoping I could still transfer my two HR10-250 HD TiVos and one HD receiver or one standard TiVo to my new address. I am moving from SW Missouri to Little Rock and I was told that it couldn't be done. I have lifetime TiVo DVR service on my account and haven't paid any DVR fees since October 2000 when I purchased my first TiVo.

Bottom line, for $100 I get two HD DVRs and one HD receiver and antenna and complete installation. I accepted the deal reluctantly with my understanding I will own the new equipment and have committed to another two years of service. I was not told anything about DVR fees. Will I own the new equipment and will I be charged a DVR fee? I had sure hoped to continue to use the TiVo receivers until the MPEG4 conversion.

Chris

2. Feb 3, 2007 #2 of 31
    webini

webini New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    There is no more owned equipment at DirecTV - it is all leased and the receivers you are getting are leased as well. There are DVR fees since the new DVRs are not TIVO.

3. Feb 3, 2007 #3 of 31
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Why would you "hope" to keep your HR10's at your new address? You take them with you and hook them up. If you use the movers program DirecTV will simply install a dish and cabling at your new house and hook up whatever receivers you have. You don't need new receivers.

Having said that, $100 for *2* HR20s and an H20 is a great deal and I'd take that in a minute. You can still hook up any of your old receivers if you want to. Mix and match all you want.

And yes, everything since March 1st, 2006 has been a lease.

4. Feb 3, 2007 #4 of 31
    hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    Are you saying that DirecTV will not let you activate your owned DirecTiVos at your new location?

5. Feb 3, 2007 #5 of 31
    Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR

Advertisements

They would not allow me to activate the HD TiVos at the new address.

Chris

6. Feb 3, 2007 #6 of 31
    Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    My account shows lifetime DVR service and although it was certainly paid for TiVo, it isn't my idea to have to switch to a non-TiVo DVR. I expect no DVR fees as a result, especially considering no mention of having to begin DVR fees was made.

Chris

7. Feb 3, 2007 #7 of 31
    rlj5242

rlj5242 Active Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Southaven, MS
    Cancel your movers program and just install them yourself when you get to LR. If you have difficulty installing them, call a local satellite guy to do the install for you. I bounced all over central AR with DirecTV and would just call to change my address when I got it installed at the new location. My most recent move here in MS, I didn't even call. I went online and changed my address.

Your biggest issue once in LR will be getting local HD. KATV (ABC) is south of town on I-540 near Pine Bluff. The rest of the channels are in west Little Rock on Shinall Mountain. You may want to check out the Little Rock thread in the Local HDTV section at AVS to determine the best antenna for your neighborhood.

-Robert

8. Feb 3, 2007 #8 of 31
    Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Thanks for the advice regarding the OTA antenna and signals, but the installation will require a little more than I am willing to do. I have done most of my DirecTV installations in the past but this two story house needs cable throughout to make it work the way I want and a professional installer with the right equipment is what I want this time. I have been using an indoor OTA antenna with a Samsung SIR-T165 STB and able to received the local digital channels coming from west Little Rock as the house is west of 430 just off Rodney Parham. I am going to try to come up with the right antenna to get ABC HD as well.

Chris

9. Feb 3, 2007 #9 of 31
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    You must have got one of the idiot CSRs. There should be no problem whatsoever activating at your new address. In fact it's already activated, all they have to do is change your address and phone number in their system.

In any case, you got a good deal on the new equipment. If you do own the HR10s you could activate one to your account now and perhaps sell one on eBay. It should fetch a good price. Or sell them both if the new DVRs work out for you.

10. rld1015

rld1015 New Member

Dec 24, 2006
    "You may want to check out the Little Rock thread in the Local HDTV section at AVS to determine the best antenna for your neighborhood."

Where can I find this thread you are talking about? I am newbie.

11. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    AVS thread index here.

12. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I really didn't consider the offer a good deal since I have purchased all of the equipment I have and hoped to continue to use it. I repeatedly tried to get an agreement to allow me to transfer my equipment and she even discussed it offline with a supervisor and came back with an absolute no. I will try again next week, thanks for the assistance.

Chris

13. Lije Baley

Lije Baley Tivo-dependent

May 11, 2004
    30 miles NW...
    None of that makes any sense to me, but I haven't moved in 29 years, so what do I know.

Nevertheless, you wouldn't be "activating" your Tivos. They're already activated. I don't get it.

14. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Yea, just sounds like a dumb CSR that didn't understand. All he needs done is DirecTV to put up a new dish at the new location and run cables if needed. Any receivers he has now just simply need to be plugged in. There is no activation needed at all, they are already activated.

To the original poster: Just take your receivers with you and hook them up at your new place and then have DirecTV just put up the dish and run cables if you haven't already. You don't even need to mention anything about your receivers.

15. Citivas

Citivas Old Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Cranbury,...
    $100 for 2 HR20 HD receivers is no deal. $0 would not be a deal. They should have to pay you as part of their QA department to use them... Honestly I just went through this move thing and getting an HR20 with it. I so much want to go back to just an SD receiver that is how bad the HR20 is. My wife literally hates DirecTV now it has been so bad. She refuses to use the HR20 now and only watched TV from our old 10-250. One that breaks, I have no idea what we'll do but it certainly won't be replacing it with another HR20 unless they have radically improved the reliability by then (improvements to the UI would be nice too, but that is less essential and when I am dealing with the thing fundamentally now working I can't be too picky)...

If you own an HR1-250, you can move it. I had them tell me the same thing about having to switch the the HR20 then threatened to leave, got the retention dept who said I could keep the 10-250 and they upgraded my other SD box to the HR-20, which was my big mistake...

16. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    All I did was request the mover's program and was told I had to replace my receivers. It was a rather lengthy discussion I had when told I couldn't move the receivers because they were going to be replaced very soon. I guess the concern is once DirecTV pays for the new install, they want a new programming commitment and a commitment using my old receivers doesn't mean anything since all become obsolete once the change to MPEG4 occurs since the receivers quit working. Apparently that is pretty soon according to the CSR. Likely scenario if they allow me to use the old HR10-250s, I decline the equipment exchange in a few months when offered and couldn't be held to the programming commitment since my equipment no longer works. DirecTV would have paid for a rather expensive installation with nothing to show for it in that case.

I am not convinced I am going to find the new equipment acceptable and will cancel DirecTV and use Comcast HD with a TiVo. It isn't likely I can be held to any programming commitment if the equipment I was forced to use isn't acceptable. It isn't that $100 is a bad deal, I expected the mover's program to provide installation and another year or so of using my HD TiVos. Then the HR20 should be much better, or at least I had hoped it will be.

Chris

17. bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    I accepted a commitment in exchange for my HR20, and despite almost six months of constant issues noted on my account, they refuse to let me cancel without payment of the early termination fee.

About the $100; remember, its $100 for leased equipment- so you also get the priveledge of paying them monthly for the equipment you didn't want or need.

Good luck battling the beast..

18. Chris Gerhard

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    That convinces me, I am going to cancel the agreement to accept the equipment since none of that was made clear to me and insist on using my existing equipment or just cancel DirecTV. Thanks.

Chris

19. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Cancel the current agreement and call the movers connection at a later time. I am sure you can keep the equipment, you just got a bad CSR. Unfortunately that is not uncommon.

20. shadowbozo

shadowbozo New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    You should be able to activate your old R10 Tivo's at your new location. I just added a 3rd Tivo (SD) onto my account. They activated it no problem. It works great. I just got my bill and it stated that I have a leased receiver on the account. After waiting on hold over 5 minutes a second CSR made the change on my account but wouldn't waive the $1 charge on the account. I have the largest programming package with DTV and have 3 DTV Tivo's on the account. Stick to your guns about your Tivo's. We have tried the DTV version and it in my wifes own words, "A clunky POS!".

If the CSR you talk to again won't do this ask for Customer Retention.

Good luck. I'm going to call back in to Customer Retention because I'm an "A" list customer been with them since '98 just so they don't rip me off $1. :mad: