Moving shows to other Tivos

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by necrochaos, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Apr 4, 2011 #1 of 19
    necrochaos

necrochaos Tivo N00b

Jul 4, 2010
    Michigan
    So here it goes:

When I left AT&T's U-verse service, I had lots of stuff on the DVR that I wasn't able to watch. That sucks, all those shows stuck on a drive, no access.

So I have a series 3 Tivo upstairs now that I have Charter cable service. I record only my shows up there. We use the Charter box downstairs to schedule her shows and shows we watch together.

The Charter box blows. I can't take channels I don't watch or don't get out of the guide. The recording information is terrible.

So what I want to do, is to record shows on my Series 3 upstairs. I'm going to record the next week of shows there. This way when we lose the box, I don't lose any of our shows again.

I have a Series 3 that I got cheap coming to me in the mail soon. I'll be taking Charter's box back as soon as I can.

So what I need to do is after that week, is to try and transfer those shows from the Series 3 upstairs to the Series 3 downstairs.

Now I know that some shows may be protected and won't be able to be moved. Do I have to install the Tivo desktop client to move the Tivo stuff?

Both Tivo's are connected via ethernet to either my router or the switch in my house, so they should all be on the network.

So can I move items from one box to another (seems like I can from the manual) and if so do I need the desktop software?

My other option is to buy the premium software and copy the files on to my computer and hook up my computer via USB to my TV (TV can play files from a USB drive.)

2. Apr 4, 2011 #2 of 19
    wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    TiVos talk to each other directly. A computer is not needed.

3. Apr 4, 2011 #3 of 19
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    A few things to add...

Both Tivos have to be subscribed to the Tivo service, both on the same account, on the same network, and transfers have to be enabled on your account.

4. Apr 4, 2011 #4 of 19
    necrochaos

necrochaos Tivo N00b

Jul 4, 2010
    Michigan
    Yes, they will both have service on my account. Should be on the same network and transfers on my account. Do I have to log into my tivo account on the website and enable something?

5. Apr 4, 2011 #5 of 19
    WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I'm not sure if the default is to allow transfers or not allow, so if it doesn't work when you get it set up, you may have to log in to your account and enable them.

6. Apr 4, 2011 #6 of 19
    V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    You should not have any problems transferring programs between TiVo boxes. But be aware that most of the meta data for the transferred programs (such as star ratings, actors, genres, etc.) will be lost in the transfer, and the transferred programs will not be grouped in folders. This is normal and appears to be functioning as stupidly designed.

If you use TiVo Desktop to transfer the shows to a PC first, then pull them down to the second TiVo box, all of that meta data will usually be there (except for the source channel). But that takes more than twice as long, so it isn't much of an option even if the missing meta data is important to you.

7. Apr 4, 2011 #7 of 19
    necrochaos

necrochaos Tivo N00b

Jul 4, 2010
    Michigan
    Sweet! Lots of good info. I'll just wait for the box and call TiVo when it gets here to get activated . I'm assuming I have to call them to get the second box discount. Then to call Charter for the cable card install (only took 5 minutes last time, no issues).

Then I'll just be transferring shows for quite some time.

8. Apr 4, 2011 #8 of 19
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    This is not what I found when I recently moved 38 hours of HD programing off my TiVo HD to my Premiere. All the shows are grouped in folders on the Premiere not sure about all the meta data but everything I care/know about seems to be there. The programs were all record from OTA about 6GB each and transfered in less than 20 hours. I had to move the shows because I was removing a 500GB external drive and replacing it and the internal drive with a new 2TB drive.

Thanks,

9. Apr 4, 2011 #9 of 19
    lastdeadcat

lastdeadcat 22 years in Alaska

Mar 14, 2005
    Duvall, WA
    I don't loose meta doing a transfer TiVo to TiVo. Also they go into folders on the receiving TiVo.

10. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Interesting - which specific TiVo boxes do you have? I loose the meta data going either way between THD and S3. I do not have a Premier.

For comparison, I am specifically looking at movies, and the meta data that are missing are virtually everything except Title and Description (Categories, year, star ratings, actors, country, directors, producers and color). Multiple copies of the same movie will ordinarily be grouped in folders, including when copied from TiVo Desktop, but not when pulled directly from my other TiVo box.

When I transfer normal TV serial programs they do get grouped into folders, but the meta data are still missing - just not as obvious because much of it does not show on the first screen when you select the program. But it is very obviously missing when you select more "info".

11. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    First of all, when Tivo says "transfer", they mean "copy", the original is not deleted because of the transfer.

My experience, with 2 Series 2 Double Tuner TiVos, is that direct Tivo to Tivo transfers appear on the second machine as having been recorded when the transfer occured, so if you record several episodes of the same show, you won't be able to tell which aired in what order.

Also, a lot of other info (episode number, original air date-which isn't necessarily the same as the date your Tivo recorded it--and such) also disappear.

If you use the free verison of Tivo Desktop, copying shows to the computer and then copying them from the computer to the other TiVo, or back to the original for that matter, it looks and acts like they were originally recorded there.

I wound up giving the Tivos their own computer (with a 2TB drive).

That way, it doesn't slow down my main computer and if either Tivo crashes, I've got a backup of the shows that can be copied to any S2 or higher on my account whenever I choose, and if the computer crashes it's a lot easier to rescue my data than on a Tivo drive.

Once the shows have been copied to the "My TiVo Recordings" folder on the computer, you can sort them into sub-folders, which will then appear as a sub-page of the computer's folder in the TiVo's Now Playing page.

12. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The Tivo metadata *I* care about (original air date, episode number) is not transferred when I transfer between my S3 & TivoHD. (Well, at least as of a few months ago -- my S3 currently won't power on, have to get that fixed.)

Also, if I try to "save to VCR" a transferred program, it *always* shows a wrong length on the show info screen at the beginning of the playing. It usually shows something like 9 minutes long, regardless of how long the show really is.

13. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    So nice to hear from somebody with careful observation skills. You have the same two boxes I have, and what you describe is identical with what I see. TiVo's multi room viewing seems to have been designed by blind idiots. No rhyme or reason I can imagine can explain why TiVo desktop transfers keep all meta data except the channel info, and TiVo to TiVo transfers LOSE virtually all the meta data EXCEPT the channel info!

And the random program length display on the Save to VCR title screen is just plain whacky!!

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    (Lose, not loose, sorry..)

Well, I wouldn't call it 'random'. I suspect they're looking at an uninitialized variable, or somehow what should be the program length is getting set with some other data -- that happens to be the same thing (9 minutes) the vast majority of the time.

15. nooneuknow

nooneuknow not quite dead yet

Feb 5, 2011
    I really, I mean REALLY, hate this idiocy on TiVo's part.

I could understand losing some metadata between different model TiVos.

But, TiVo HD-to-TiVo HD - loses nearly all the metadata that matters to anybody.

Same goes for Premiere-to-Premiere transfers.

If they'd AT LEAST retain the season and episode metadata, I wouldn't be mad enough to post this.

16. necrochaos

necrochaos Tivo N00b

Jul 4, 2010
    Michigan
    Update: still needing some help.

I got my other S3 last night and got it activated. It's not plugged in via ethernet.

I was trying to transfer shows from my upstairs TiVo to my downstairs TiVo.

I followed the directions on TiVo's website to do so, but I couldn't get it to work. I do have sharing allowed in my account.

The instructions say to go to the TiVo you want to move the information to. I went to Now Playing and selected the upstairs TiVo. It tells me there are no shows on that TiVo box. Both are Series 3, both connected via ethernet.

Am I still missing something?

17. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

Is they is, or is they ain't?

Ethernet is a term that sometimes gets used loosely.

Is either Tivo using a wireless adapter?

Is either Tivo plugged into your router directly via CAT5-type cable?

Have you checked to see if you can do the opposite of what you want to, i.e., go to the upstairs TiVo and transfer shows from the new used one downstairs?

If it works in one direction only, that's one clue. If it doesn't work in either direction, that's a different clue suggesting a different problem.

(If you'd started copying shows via Tivo Desktop while you waited for the second TiVo to arrive, it would most likely be done by now, and you'd have an extra backup of them)

18. necrochaos

necrochaos Tivo N00b

Jul 4, 2010
    Michigan
    Sorry, both are plugged in via CAT-5 cables. Downstairs, the cable modem goes into the router....in the router is the cable box and the Tivo and my TV. The last port goes to a hub upstairs. That hub has a PS3, XBOX 360, PC and my TiVo on that hub upstairs.

They should all be on the same network with the same subnet mask.

The downstairs box was activated yesterday and do not have anything recorded on it yet. Waiting for the cable cards to come in.

So I can't check the availability of the other box, as it doesn't have any info on it.

I read it could take up to 24 hours for transfers to be able to take place after making the changes on the website. I'll look at it again when I get home.

19. necrochaos

necrochaos Tivo N00b

Jul 4, 2010
    Michigan
    I got home and things worked perfectly. I guess it really did take 24 hours for the changes to be complete. Moved programs without issue.