Moving R10 Hard Disk

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by jsnow, Sep 23, 2007.

1. jsnow

jsnow New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    I have an R10 with a bad card reader. I would like to take the hard disk in the bad R10 and use it as an add-on drive in another R10, thus preserving the recordings from the hard disk in the bad R10. Is that possible? If so, how do I do that? If not, how can I transfer the recordings from the R10 with the bad card reader to another R10?

2. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
  3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    In general, you cannot transfer the disk and preserve the shows. It might be possible if you both disabled encryption and removed the existing encryption from your recordings. On the R10, this is difficult because it requires a replacement ROM. I don't know how much effort you are willing to go through to keep the recordings.

If you simply want to reuse the disk, that's easy; just do a clear and delete everything on the new box.

4. jsnow

jsnow New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Thanks Stevel,

Can you take a hard disk from one R10 (the one with the bad card reader) and use it to replace the hard disk in a good R10?

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    How did you determine that the card reader is bad? Maybe the contacts just need cleaning. Also, you could get the card reader replaced, thus preserving the recordings.

6. jsnow

jsnow New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    OK, Do you konw anybody who sells replacement card readers?

7. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, you can swap disks if you want. You'll get an error number 51 you boot with the new disk. Clear and delete everything will reset that.

8. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    But that will delete all the recordings, which is what the OP wants to prevent.