Moving Programs between Tivo boxes

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Ken Colby, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Ken Colby

Ken Colby New Member

Jul 9, 2020

Advertisements

I have a unique situation. I have 3 Tivo boxes, #1, #2 and #3. I only have 2 connections points. Tivo #1 recently died and cannot be restarted (I tried with the Technician on the phone and was told in need to replace it). Tivo #2 works. Tivo #1 is a new Bolt and I want to replace Tivo #2 with Tivo #1 and move Tivo #2 into the other room to replace Tivo #3, the dead Tivo. Of course, I want to save the stored programs from Tivo #3 and put them on Tivo #2 and put the programs from Tivo #2 on Tivo #3. If Tivo #3 was working I think I could manage it, but when I look at Tivoonline.com, where it is possible to transfer programs from one box to another, I am not able to see Tivo #3 at all, I con only see Tivo #2. I assume it is because Tivo #3 died and cannot be restarted. So, if I disconnect Tivo #3 and connect Tivo #1; move programs from Tivo #2 to Tivo #1; delete programs from Tivo #2, how can I move programs from Tivo #3 to Tivo #2 if I cannont connect with Tivo #3? Is it possible for a Tivo technician to do this for me once I've hooked up #1 and #2 and done the transferiing between them?

I hope my explanation is not too confusing and Thank you in advance for any hints, advice or referrals you can supply.

Ken Colby

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You need to be more specific than just Tivo #1, #2, #3, and what Tivo software they are running.

3. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    You need to go back and re-read this and then edit it, it’s unclear how many dead TiVos you have, in parts it seems like you only have one dead TiVo in others you have more than one dead TiVo. You are very unlikely to be able to get shows off a dead TiVo if at all possible.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    He seems more confused with all the numbering, #1, #2, #3...

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas

Advertisements

It looks like you made an error in your TiVo Numbering.

Also, maybe just a couple Paragraph Breaks? Please?

-KP

UCLABB likes this.
  6. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    No matter how you number them, if a TiVo is actually "dead", or even if it is alive but cannot connect in any way to a network, you ain't gonna copy anything from that box.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  7. Ken Colby

Ken Colby New Member

Jul 9, 2020
    Thank you all for your responses and pointing out my inconsistencies. I suspect i may be on a futile quest but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The 3 Tivos are as follows:
    #1 is a Series 2 (2 Tuners) and it died and cannot be restarted and I was told it needed to be replaced.
    #2 is a Tivo HD (4 Tuners) and it is functional
    #3 is a Tivo Bolt Vox and I have not installed it yet

I only have two hook up points to my cable, bedroom and family room, so I cannot have all 3 hooked up at the same time.

I planned on disconnecting the dead Series 2 and temporarily installing the Bolt in the bedroom while I transfer my shows from the Tivo HD to the Bolt.

The next step in my plan was to delete the stored programs from the Tivo HD and try to transfer the stored programs from the Series 2 to the now empty Tivo HD. This is the step I may need a Tivo Technician to help me with, if it is even possible.

If the previous step succeeded, I would now have the Tivo Bolt Vox in the family room with the programs from the Tivo HD and the Tivo Hd in the bedroom with the programs from the Series 2.

As i stated prevously, when log in to my account at Tivo.com and go to TIVO ONLINE/MANAGE/Transfer recordings, all I can see is the Tivo HD in the family room. I'm confident that if I install the Bolt in the bedroom, i will be able to transfer the programs from the Tivo HD to the Bolt, but the question is whether a Tivo Technician can do the transfer from the Series 2 programs to the Tivo HD.

I hope this is easier to understand and I pretty sure it is error free.

Thanks in advance for your insight and suggestions

Ken Colby

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  8. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    If your Series 2 won't boot the recordings on it are gone and there is no way to recover its contents.

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I think you are still confused.

There is only 1 series 2 that is 2 tuners, its a TCD649080 and cable only. It has to be running to get the recorded shows from it.

Tivo HD is a Series 3, 2 tuners (not 4).

It would be better to specify by model number and be more specific. There is a label next to the power cord and it states the model number, starting with TCD. Another way to tell the model (if its working,) look in System Information screen, The first 3 numbers of the Tivo service number, =or= the last 3 numbers of the Tivo software version.

Series 3 and older Tivos are not listed under online.tivo.com, except for a few features like season passes. The programs will not be listed or transferred from online.
    The Bolt will not be able to transfer from Series 3 and older models either, if its running software version 21.x. Premiere and newer Tivos have to start the shows transfer from online.tivo.com. Older models are out of luck.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020