Moving out of town , what do I do with cablecard

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Ceciliachavez75, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Ceciliachavez75

Ceciliachavez75 Tivo kitten

Dec 23, 2008
    Sonoma, ca
    I live in Santa Clara Ca, but I am moving to Napa county, My question is, do I take the M card with me or do I take it back to comcast and get a new one in Napa??

2. workingjoe

workingjoe New Member

Jun 14, 2011
    South Florida
    Cablecards belong to the cable company. When you move, the local cable company will want to install one of their own in it to get it going anyway, and if you don't turn in the old one, the existing cable company might hit you with a replacement fee.

C-ya
    -- Workingjoe --

3. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    If you're getting new service, return it to Comcast - it's theirs. If you're changing Comcast locations, call them and ask.

4. Ceciliachavez75

Dec 23, 2008
    Sonoma, ca
    Thank you for the answers! I will be caling to see if I need to turn it in.:)

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They're not compatible from one area to another. If you were moving within the same town then you can just take it with you, but if you're moving to a different town, even if it's serviced by the same company, then you need to turn it in and get a new one installed at the new location.

Dan

6. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Why wouldn't you ask your cable company from the start since it's their property, before asking here? :rolleyes:

7. HellFish

HellFish I can dress myself.

Jan 28, 2007
    ^^

In my experience, it's good to know what the cable company is expecting of you before they call you. It saves you a headache in the long run.

8. JimboG

JimboG New Member

May 27, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    This is a fair point.

9. pbcanney

pbcanney New Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Comcast now owns the old TCI-HITS (headend in the sky) in Denver which is a national controller. So in fact, if you are not changing Comcast MSO's they may allow you to take it with you to your new location.

10. a68oliver

a68oliver Member

Jul 15, 2000
    Crawfordsvil...
    But cablecards are programmed to be used with the headend in your local community and not with HITS in Denver. If you move to a new headend, you will likely have to change cablecards.

11. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    This page suggests that you just take your equipment to the new house, but I didn't actually go through the process.

12. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Um... because he didn't know that the cablecard is "their property?"

:rolleyes:

It's a fair question to ask. Don't like it, move along. Your response isn't helpful, at all.

13. Ceciliachavez75

Dec 23, 2008
    Sonoma, ca
    Thank you Fofer! And, thank you for all the people who gave useful answers. To you people who are just spouting hot air, I figured i would get friendly USEFUL answers here. Actually i was told to bring it with me and the company would just reprogram it.Thank you again:)
    Cecilia

14. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    I did exactly this when moving from one Comcast area to another. It was actually one town over but a different headend. There were about 3-4 truck rolls and 2-3 Comcast techs all scratching their heads. The cards were partially working so this really confused the techs. It was finally a senior tech who knew someone that identified a firmware compatibility issue with the headend. The cards had to be updated or replaced (I don't recall). Just turn in your CC and get new ones when you sign up. Also we got billed for missing cable cards which we had to straighten out. Good luck with your move.

15. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yeah, trying to get techs to authorize cards from another headend can be painful. It would be much easier to just get new cards in most cases.

16. imcordless

imcordless New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    i would just send it back

17. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    When I moved a couple counties North of where I used to live my Cable co didn't change. They told me to take my stuff with me. However they didn't use any of it. They came out and gave me all new (same crap) stuff.

They took the old and gave me receipts for the old stuff. Then they tried to charge me for a cable modem I never returned a few months later.

Took a couple of calls to get it straightened out.

They held up my refund on my old account till this was resolved.

If I was moving in the same town or general area I would bring it with me. If it was a different area I would drop it off at the store and watch them scan it in and get a receipt.