Moving - Need advice

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ggreenwald, Jan 24, 2006.

1. ggreenwald

ggreenwald New Member

Jan 24, 2006

Advertisements

Here's my situation. I've been with D* for over 3 years now. Been pretty happy - mainly liked it for the D-Tivos and Sunday Ticket. Decent pricing too in my opinion. My current setup is pretty simple - I have an old round dish, a 2x8 multiswitch, 2 DirecTivos (RCA DVR40), and 1 standard box. I have a 57" Hitachi HDTV and use the integrated tuner for OTA HD locals.

Well, I'm now building a new house and will be moving May 1st. I know that I definitely want HD this time around, but I'm a little unsure which way I should go. Comcast seems to have a decent offering including HD-DVRs. Pricing isn't great once their promotional period ends. Maybe if I consolidate phone, TV, and Broadband I could save some dough though. Also, NFL Ticket is not as important as it once was - I think I could live without it. But I've heard that big changes are on the way for D*'s HD content. Someone was saying that in March some of their new satellites are going to be lit up to offer HD locals and possibly hundreds of other HD channels. Definitely has got me thinking that staying with D* could be a good thing.

So, my question is this. If you guys were in my shoes, which way would you go? Is D* on the way up and is what I should stick with? If so, do you think there is a way for me to negotiate a good deal on HD equipment? If not, is Comcast the better option?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I would concern myself now with what wiring needs to be installed. How many wires to each room? Use structured cable with RG-6 and Cat5e. Run these cables to a central/common location. Then worry about what provider you want to use. The common location will make it much easier to change things if needed.

3. ggreenwald

ggreenwald New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Good point - thanks for the input. I think I have that covered well already (hope so anyway). I have 7 multimedia locations (2-RG6 and 2-Cat5e) and 2 networking locations (2-Cat5e), all running to a central hub in basement. 2" flex conduit to attic for future and/or dish connection. Basement is unfinished so I can then get anything to the mainfloor or upstairs. 3" empty conduit to curb for future offerings (fiber, etc).

I'll actually be closing on my current home in a month, but I won't be moving into my new place until May. So I'll need to make some decisions on what to do with my D* service and Comcast broadband. I'd like to use my existing services as leverage to get a good deal on new services, so I may need to suspend the accounts or something...

4. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Congratz on your new house! Cable service is different in different areas so I can only speak for my specific area here in Maryland. Cable around here sucks for Video services. Cable is more expensive than D* here and the picture isn't even close, so it isn't a hard choice for me. Cable internet on the other hand, is much much faster than DSL, so I use Comcast for my internet connection. I have a 42" Samsung Plasma with the HR10-250 HD TiVo DVR. I have talked to people who were able to get the HR10-250 for as low as $99 after rebates, so that may be a good option for you if you choose D*. At some point though, that box will need to be replaced as DirecTV moves toward MPEG4 and their own DVR over TiVo. I don't know all the specifics as to when this will happen, but, DirecTV should offer you some reasonable options when the HR10-250 becomes obsolete. Here is what I have and would probably be a good setup for you, but it really depends on how good cable is and what kind of deal you can get from D*.

1) TV - DirecTV with HR10-250 HD TiVo DVR + 1 regular receiver for the bedroom

2) Internet - Comcast Cable (at the higher rate because I don't sub to cable TV), plus I have the $10 per month add-on for increased upload/download speeds, $67.95 per month.

3) Phone - Vonage unlimited at $24.99 per month, after taxes it is $27.24 per month and includes unlimited LD to US, Canada, and PR.

I make up for the extra cost of the internet by using Vonage. A similar plan through Verizon would cost about $70 per month just for phone service.

Again, good luck with your house!

5. ggreenwald

ggreenwald New Member

Jan 24, 2006

Advertisements

Sounds like you have the same setup as me No Blue Screen. I use D* for video and Comcast for internet. Up till a few months ago I also used Vonage for phone, but after repeated problems with connectivity and call quality I finally cancelled that service. Nice price but way too many problems in my area. I do have a tip on the Comcast internet service though. I'm subscribed to their Basic service for like $8 per month. This does a few nice things for me. First, it gives me the $15 off for being a cable subscriber (which makes having Basic cable and internet cheaper than internet by itself). Second, it gives me a really a cheap option to pump basic TV into guest rooms and other areas where I don't need hundreds of channels. Could be a good option for you too.

Thanks for the input on the HD-Tivo option. Hopefully, if I don't need new service until mid May, the MPEG4 solution will be in place. Would really suck to buy a HD-Tivo and then have it become obsolete within a few months. I think I'll just suspend my service when I move out and then wait till May to make a decision...

6. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    If the offer from your cable co. looks promising, why not give it a try. Since more than likely you will NOT be on any kind of long term contract with cable, if it turns out to suck, you can always just disconnect it & go back to D*. Just hang on to your DVR's (you WON'T want the R15's - trust me :eek: ) & if you decide to go back, you can just reactivate it. More than likely, if you come back, D* seems to welcome back existing customers (unlike E*) & will most likely give you a deal on new HD equipment.

7. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Thanks for the info. Here it is only $10 off per month and you have to have basic cable at $40 per month. The limited cable doesn't qualify me for the discount according to my local comcast office. Often times when you have issues with vonage and cable it is due to latency. This is often caused by a cable modem that is not DOCSIS 2.0 compliant. Mine is and I don't have that problem, but my mother had an older cable modem that was only DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 and she was having latency issues (causes problems like echoing etc.). I went to the local comcast office and switched her out for one of the new Motorolla models and her vonage works great now. It could also have to do with speed issues...I know NJ has a horrible cable system with Comcast...but the cable systems here in Baltimore and surrounding areas is great...except for video (snowy picture). Comcast never wants to do anything about video quality issues around here so that is why I don't go with them...but the internet is great. With my service is get 8 mbit down and 768 kbit upstream...very fast.