Moving License?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by CyberCowboy, Jul 31, 2007.

1. CyberCowboy

CyberCowboy New Member

Oct 28, 2006

Advertisements

Here's my long and sad story

I purchased a Philips Series 1 HDR-212 Tivo from E-bay a while ago after enjoying my brother in laws Tivo for a few months. It was advertised and came w/ no hard drive, 3 months after purchase (and well past the return date) I purchased a new HD and used instant cake to build the system (I'm a computer technician by trade so know my way around systems)

The unit froze repeatedly but had a lifetime subscriptions. I did various troubleshooting solutions to try and save my unit (new HD, IDE cable, Bios battery, all but power supply and motherboard) but to no avail it keeps freezing

I've now purchased a second of the exact same unit except the new one doesn't have the lifetime subscription. Is there a way by moving a rom or something from the lifetime sub to move it to the new one without involving Tivo (I know they won't don't it for me, will make me upgrade)

any help would be appreciated

2. CyberCowboy

CyberCowboy New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Any help available? No one knows where this is stored?

3. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    I think the lifetime is tied to the board and once it is gone ...

4. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    You'd have to swap the Atmel crypto chip into the new unit.

5. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan

Advertisements

You might try swapping the power supply, SM chips don't take well to de-soldering.

6. CyberCowboy

CyberCowboy New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    I'll give it a go, the new one hasn't arrived yet but when it does we'll see what happens.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It would be the crypto chip you move, but we don't talk of that here.

8. CyberCowboy

CyberCowboy New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Fair enough, I don't want to do anything of questionable legality anyway, I just didn't know if it was something that was able to be done within the law.

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Strictly withing the law, probably, but might violate the TiVo TOS, and at least the spirit of Lifetime, and ergo the rules of this forum.