"Moving" from West Coast to East Coast

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by haslip, Oct 5, 2006.

1. haslip

haslip New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malvern, PA

Advertisements

I want to "move" my High Def Tivo from its current location in the NorthWest to a location on the East Coast.

This because I cannot get the necessary waivers for the network HD feeds.

I don't mind getting East Coast Feeds (yeah i know they will be 3 hours off) and have an address I can "move" to.

The question concerns "turning on/activating" the box in its new location. Does directv use "spot beams" when they beam the activation signal.

If they used spot beams, and my box is on the west coast, and they spot beam to the location, I am guessing activation will not occur.

Does anybody have any experience on this??

2. Mark Lopez

Mark Lopez Just click ignore

Jan 1, 2000
    Hondo TX
    You should not have any problem with activation. I know someone who did something similar. ;) I'm assuming you are talking about receiving the East coast National HD feed.

3. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC
    I have an RV unit, and I've had no problems using it anywhere, including east coast (Florida to Connecticut), Canada (Toronto), and even northern California. Only problem is you can't get your local channels because of the spot beaming problem.

I'm pretty sure I've had to re-activate (due to being disconnected for weeks/months at a time) on the road without problems.

4. haslip

haslip New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malvern, PA
    Correct Mark.

The physical location of the box will be West Coast.

But my "friend" on the East Coast will call in on his phone and activate with the required numbers on his address account.

It would be my third box, and West Coasts 2nd box, so the net revenue to DirecTV is the same, so I have no ethical concerns.

I just get to see the channels already viewed in glorious HD instead of crappy SD.