Moving from two 120GB disks to one 300GB

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by coldie, May 2, 2006.

1. coldie

coldie New Member

Apr 13, 2004

Advertisements

So I had a 40 hour tivo, upgraded to two 120GB disks and now I want to switch to a single 300GB disk (for heat and quiet).

I'd like to keep my recordings. I realize I can't upgrade the capacity and keep my recordings, but as far as I understand I should be able to move all of the partitions to the new disk.

I tried:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd | mfsrestore -zi - /dev/hda

But I still get the "destination isn't large enough" error from mfsrestore. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is there an alternate way to do this?

To reiterate:
    I know I can't expand the image again, I just want to use 240GB of the 300GB drive
    I'd really like to keep my recordings
    I've already restored a minimal backup and it works (so the drive isn't bad)

Can anyone help me?

Coldie

2. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    You have too many partition pairs for one disk. There is only room for three on a single disk and a stock tivo ships with two. You added two more when you expanded the A drive and added the B drive. So you have four partition pairs, which won't fit on one disk.

3. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Try it with the "Shrink" option mfsbackup -f 9999 -so - /dev/hdc /dev/hdd | mfsrestore -s 150 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hda Your recording titles will still be listed altho the recordings will not be present so you either need to individually delete every recording or do the Clear and Delete Everything.

NOTE: MFSTools is broken when using swap values larger then 127 and need to be repaired using the tpip program.

Edit: To be clear I selected -s 150 for your 300G drive it is larger then 127 so before installing the new drive in the TiVo you will need to run the tpip program.

4. coldie

coldie New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    I didn't have any problem getting the Tivo software to the 300GB drive, so there is no advantage to your command is there Homeuser?

JamieP: So there is a limit to the number of partitions per hard disk? That would explain it, it's just hard to find these limits... Any magic I could perform that would allow me to keep the recordings? (I guess I'm asking if there is any way for me to remove partitions)

Coldie

5. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004

Advertisements

Yes.
    Yes: link. I don't recommend it unless you really know what you are doing. It's not a turnkey solution, but the concepts there could be applied to combine your partitions and get them all onto one disk.

6. coldie

coldie New Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Interesting... The script doesn't support multiple source disks, but that appears fairly easy to add.

I'll see what I can do with this this weekend hopefully all will be well =)

Coldie