Moving from Comcast to Direct TV

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by dovetail, Aug 21, 2007.

1. dovetail

dovetail New Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Hi, I've got two Series 2 Tivo boxes that I'm currently using on Comcast cable. I'm contemplating moving to Direct TV. Will my two boxes work with Direct TV? Anything special I need to prepare for? Thanks in advance. :)

2. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    Yes, but only using the IR blaster. I decided to find an older directivo box on ebay to use that and just shelve my lifetime series 2 SA for now.

3. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Yes, they will work with standard DirecTV receivers. It has been reported that the D11 receiver is a little tricky. You just have to re-run guided setup to select satellite as the source.

4. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Also remember that you can only record one source at a time. In other words, you can't watch one channel and record another with only one receiver. This CAN be done with a DirecTV Receiver with TiVo or (heaven forbid) the non-TiVo DVR that D* provide.

5. snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Tech-no Guide

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    off Ebay or from weaknees.com if you are watching tv in just one room (Directivos work really well for this). If you can't live without MRV then SA Tivo and Directv receiver would be they way to go. In 2008 Directv and Tivo are releasing some updates that will make Directivos a little more like a SA Tivo.

6. dovetail

dovetail New Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Great responses, thanks everyone.

Snickerrrrs, what's an "MRV" and an "SA Tivo"? I'm a newbie to satellite.

Thanks again.

7. kc3qb

kc3qb New Member

Mar 28, 2006
    MRV= Multi Room Viewing SA= Stand Alone