Moving from Comcast DVR to TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by czimmerman, Oct 6, 2007.

1. czimmerman

czimmerman New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Question...

I Googled around the 'Net and around here and couldn't get a 100% clear answer...

I hate the Comcast DVRs. I've never liked them since we got them in this area, but for some reason, thought that I could not use a TiVo with Comcast. Long story short, I think I am ready to move to TiVo, but I am concerned about VOD and PPV. I subscribe to both HowardTV and order TNA's monthly events. Would I still be able to access this content without a Comcast cable box? I'm thinking the answer is a Yes as far as PPV goes, but for VOD, I would need the cable box, correct?

2. fredtwd

fredtwd New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Southern NH
    You would need a cable box for VOD and PPV.

3. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
  4. czimmerman

czimmerman New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Nice. Yeah, I kind of don't want to have both the TiVo and a cable box sitting in my home theater, so I can wait until TiVo gets that worked out! Thanks for your help!

5. dcobbley

dcobbley New Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I am a Comcast customer making the same move, upgrading a useless S2 w/Liftime to Tivo HD.

I was planning to just split the cable and have the cable box and Tivo HD go into separate TV inputs; consensus seems to argue against wiring them "in series". Correct?

Also, will PPV and On Demand pause/rewind features still work if I do this?

Finally, once I use the cable box to order a movie, can I set the Tivo to channel 1 and watch/record the movie?

Thanks!

6. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    True, there is no AV input on the Tivo HD that can take a video output from a cable box

Don't see why not, the two boxes are totally unrelated. Cable box talk back to the cable headend on a different freq than the cable TV signal, and TivoHD does not talk back to the cable headend at all.

Dunno.

7. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Why not split the signal and send to the cable box and to the Tivo. Then use the inputs on your TV to switch between them.

8. dcobbley

dcobbley New Member

Mar 1, 2003
    Portland, OR
    That's what I was planning to do, thanks. I was also curious as to whether I could then tune the Tivo HD to channel 1 (PPV) and watch/record whatever I had just started playing via the cable box.