Moving Expander Drive to Premiere

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by stiffi, Apr 21, 2011.

1. stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    Hello,

I'm about to activate a new Premiere. On my old Tivo HD I have a Western Digital Expander.

If I unplug the expander, will it wipe everything clean on the Tivo HD? I think I read somewhere, that it will only wipe out what was there AFTER the drive was added.

Also, will the Expander be wiped clean? Or will it retain its recordings for when I plug it into the Premiere?

Thanks

2. jakerock

jakerock Hey ho howdy!

Dec 9, 2002
    Lee, NH
    I don't know if the recordings made prior to putting on the expander will be lost or not. I guess they might be OK. Anything recorded after that will be lost. The recrodings are shared across the internal and expander drives. When you pair it to the new TiVo it will be wiped.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    When you unplug the expander from your TiVo HD you will loose all shows recorded or transfered to the unit after the expander was added.

There will be nothing left on the expander usable by your Premiere. It effectively formats the drive before it uses it.

On a side note Internal Hard drive upgrades are very easy on a Premiere if you have a PC/laptop that you can connect 2 eSATA drives too (either through eSATA or USB ports). You might consider doing an internal upgrade instead of adding the expander.

Good Luck,

4. MrSkippy53

MrSkippy53 New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    I agree a 2T internal upgrade on the premier had be done for as little as $70. If u go the internal hd way i suggest you do it AFTER you have the cable cards installed and paired. That way if the drive ever fails you can use the OG 320gb drive to get box working again without sending to TiVo or having CC come out to re pair the card.

5. HeatherA

HeatherA Old AVS Forum Member

Jan 9, 2002
    I'm getting ready to move my WD 1TB Expander from my HD to my new Premiere and have one additional question... does it affect the set up of the original TiVo when you remove the hard drive? Or the TiVo HD just revert to stock storage space without any intervention on my part?

I'd love to do the internal upgrade, but will wait until the expander dies... it's about 18 months old now so I expect my remaining life span is pretty short, yet hate to spend the money until I need to.

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You'll need to power off the TiVo HD and then boot it without the Expander attached. You'll get this screen:

[​IMG]

Press Clear and you'll get this screen:

[​IMG]

Press Thumbs Down three times to "divorce" the Expander. The process will take a while and when your TiVo reboots again, you'll be back to your stock (internal) storage space. As indicated, you'll lose any recordings made since the Expander was attached, so be prepared for that (you might want to transfer any recordings you can to your Premiere first).

7. HeatherA

Jan 9, 2002
    Thanks! We have un-married to the TiVoHD and re-married it to the Premiere and all is well. I appreciate your help!

8. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Glad to help. Enjoy your expanded Premiere. :cool:

9. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    You should fill the Premiere then add the external drive as stated

10. HeatherA

Jan 9, 2002
    Yeah, in hind sight that would have been the way to go.

11. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I assume that you can only transfer recordings that are not marked as copy protected? This has to be done one item at a time?

12. HeatherA

Jan 9, 2002
    Yes and Yes. So if you have copy protected shows you'll want to watch them all before you make the move.