Moving content from a PC to a TiVo - the argument

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, May 1, 2019.

1. May 1, 2019 #1 of 21
    bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    I am a big Plex user and since the Plex integration, I do not find myself moving content from my PC to my TiVo's as a general rule. This was true way before I ever upgraded to Hydra. But that doesn't mean I do not understand feeling like we lost an old friend in the transition.

That said there is a work around that I could use if I wanted too.

I have an older Premiere still on my network. From that device, I can still view network shares and move content onto that box using PyTiVo. I can then MRS that content to my Roamio and my Minis without any issues.

And If I really felt jiggy with it, I could even go to TiVo online and move the content from the Premiere to the Roamio - although I am not sure why I would want too.

I know that this isn't a streamlined solution, but really, if you just have to be able to move content back onto a TiVo - Or want to use a TiVo as a streamlined archive repository - the Premieres with lifetime are pretty damn cheap.

krkaufman likes this.
  2. May 1, 2019 #2 of 21
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    OK, but puzzled: what is "the argument" ?

3. May 1, 2019 #3 of 21
    bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Yeah, I could have titled it better. Debate, options, available functionality? Meh, pick your adjective.

4. May 1, 2019 #4 of 21
    Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Simple, if TiVo dose not return PC to DVR transfer, their competitors will meet that demand.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  5. May 1, 2019 #5 of 21
    osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    What competitors? Who else offers that functionality now.

krkaufman likes this.
  6. May 1, 2019 #6 of 21
    bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    @Joe3 Well, for OTA, maybe, it will be available... But not for a cable connected DVR.

I just looked - a third party tool for Tablo does allow you to offload content, but does not allow you to upload content.

Plex DVR of course allows it because the desktop is your repository.

7. May 1, 2019 #7 of 21
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The validity of your comment is only exceeded by the quality of your grammar and spelling..:p

8. May 1, 2019 #8 of 21
    Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    Correction

9. May 2, 2019 #9 of 21
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If they've not already provided this functionality, then it's very unlikely they would provide it in the future just because TiVo no longer provides it with TE4. They would be more likely to support Plex or DLNA if they don't already (similar to how TiVo is using Plex).

I'd be interested in hearing what other DVR's allow content upload today as well (and streaming and through what method). Would need to document OTA versus cable also.

Scott

10. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    My guess is that content owners (which Rovi was close too) are slowly killing the DVR in favor of something they can exert more control over like the “cloud dvr” to limit copyright infringement.

When you can move the content to your PC and back to your TiVo you can edit it. Something they have always hated.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Programmers have always been able to prevent downloading from a (digital) TiVo by simply requiring (in their agreements with cable companies) that the CCI code be set appropriately (0x01 IIRC). TWC (now part of Spectrum) always did that on all channels other than local OTA broadcast stations. That was one of the reasons I lost interest in downloading back in 2009 when I went from an analog TiVo to a digital one. Just now, I checked CCI bytes in Diagnostics and it appears that Spectrum has changed the policy -- all that I checked were set to 0x02 (copy freely) -- including a premium Epix channel.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    CloudAtlas likes this.
  12. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    I find the above statement a little odd as TiVo competitors have grown. It may have been true after Replay folded and TiVo became the only alternative. The junky cable DVR I don't consider as a competitor. This is why I think TiVo plays a dangerous game when they dump some of its iconic features. A strong demand for these dumped features in TE4 still exists. Therefore, the demand will be met if not by TiVo then an existing competitor or the next TiVo competition.

13. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    All my channels are 0x00, including HBO and all other premium. See: Copy Control Information - Wikipedia

BTW, I have a clear QAM channel in a Roamio w/o a cable card. So no CCI byte. TE4 says I can't record it. But I can.

14. CloudAtlas

CloudAtlas Bryan TCF Club

Oct 29, 2013
    New York, NY
    TiVO’s customers are the cable/telco companies not named Comcast, Spectrum, AT&T or Verizon.

The companies who can’t afford to spend years and 8 to 9 figure$ to develop their own technologies to compete or realize that doing so is a HUGE undertaking best suited for a company like TiVO and not a cable/telco vendor.

15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    If they wanted to compete with TiVo based on features, they would have already provided the ability to upload shows. There aren't enough retail TiVo customers for them to really care about.

Scott

16. philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, AZ
    just dont go to te4, i have all my machines on te3, happy streaming when I want and pytivo for other times
    although I am getting very friendly wil plex

Currently my collection is on a nas. that a pytivo vm and plex can both see

i never liked hydra and the new stuff is even worse. I've been on tivo since my sony svr2000. I do like the added netflix etc, but the tivo box to me is recorded shows movies. If I want anything else, I use my roku etc.

I gues people want one box to do everything. I find it is a bit of a kludge or mish mash to try that

17. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I agree with that. Even though the TiVo can do Netflix, etc, it feels like a different box anyway since the interface is not the same and you can’t get to any of the “normal” TiVo functions while streaming.

18. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    That may or may not be a good solution depending on your perspective. You can stay on TE3, however, you will never see another update.

That is fine for the short term, but eventually you are going to get so far off sync that you lose functionality

19. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    0x02 is Copy Once, not Copy Freely.

20. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    You are correct -- sorry for the brain fart. And all my Spectrum channels except OTA stations are copy protected . How nice of them to carry over the former TWC policy. :rolleyes: