Moving a Series 3 from Comcast to antenna

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tetranz, May 28, 2011.

1. tetranz

tetranz New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Hi all

We have had a Series 3 for the last 3 years running happily on Comcast with two cable cards. Now we are moving to a place with no cable. The thought of signing up a 24 month contract with DirecTV or Dish makes me cringe so I think I'm going to try my luck with an antenna. That plus Hulu, NetFlix etc on Roku should be enough.

As I understand it, the Series 3 is ready to go with digital TV. I know we need to keep the Tivo activated for it to work.

Do we get program guides for the free over the air channels?

I've been paying $129 per year. I probably should have gone for the lifetime deal but... it's probably a bit late for that now. My current subscription runs out in a few weeks. There will be a couple of weeks from then until we're moved in and I can try this. I don't want to commit to another year until I verify that we can pickup enough with the antenna to make it worthwhile. Does anyone know if I'll be able to get the same price if I cancel and then signup the same machine again in a few weeks? I don't think I'm getting any sort of discount.

If we record lots of shows before we pull the plug on Comcast, will we be able to watch them even if I don't renew the Tivo subscription?

Thanks
    Ross

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, you will be able to watch any shows already recorded, and you will be able to watch live tv. That's basically about all you will be able to do without a subscription.

I really don't know what the new monthly rate is/will be for none series 4 units. Maybe someone else knows.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If you know the address to where you will be moving, you can use AntennaWeb to get an idea what kind of antenna you need (VHF/UHF) and an in what direction you need to point it.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

You will have to redo guided setup on the Tivo to switch it from using cable to OTA when it is set up at the new location. Once you do this, you will get an OTA programming guide.

If you cancel the TiVo subscription, you will still be able to watch all the programs that have been recorded.

If you cancel the TiVo subscription and then later renew, you will still get the $12.95/month rate, only now you have to go month to month. TiVo recently got rid of the annual plans.

4. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    Your series 3 will not work with satellite but will work with an antenna (assuming you can get a good signal). All you have to do is re-run guided set-up and select antenna only. And don't forget to return the cable cards to Comcast or you will get hit with a big bill. When I switched from Comcast, I had to go to their inconveniently located office to drop them off (then they cancelled the bill).

5. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    The Series 3 is reported to have a superior OTA experience than the Premiere, so you're ahead of the game, there. Your TiVo will have all the same functionality and features on OTA only. The only difference is that the channels on your guide and available for recording will be OTA only. That is provided you continue with a subscription, of course. The limitations without a subscription have already been explained in previous posts.

Your S3 should provide you with an excellent OTA only experience. Enjoy.

6. BillieBog

BillieBog New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    :confused:I live in Garland, a suburb of Dallas and want to move off cable to antenna. I am getting buried in the technical terminology trying to compare antenna's. I have series3 TIVO's with lifetime subs. Do I need an amplifier?? also?? in addition to the antenna. Can I use the cable wiring with the antenna or do I need to run new wiring? Other hints or suggestions how to make this change?? Any help or insights would be appreciated. :)

7. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    You can certainly use the existing coax cabling in your house for the OTA antenna, that is what we did. Just make sure you disconnect the cable input from you house. If you use a rooftop exterior antenna, make sure it is properly grounded - especially considering where you live (lightening). Try http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx or another online service to help with selecting an antenna - Or if you have a neighbor who is OTA and happy with their reception you can ask them as well. And get a subscription to Netflix and/ or Hulu+. Between that and ordering an occasional movie from Amazon, there is little reason to ever see the inside of a video store again. Unless you are a heavy duty ESPN person, you will not miss cable or sat (though you may have to wait a little to watch some cable shows).

And the $50 to $100 a month you will save adds up. What can you buy for an additional $600 to $1200 a year?

8. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You are probably pretty close to where I am. I live in a 3rd story apartment and use a Terk indoor UHF/VHF antenna and get all the major channels.
    Your mileage may vary, of course depending on terrain, etc.
    As said above, you can use the existing coax for the antenna, just make sure to change the coax going into the Tivo to the antenna input.
    You may or may not need an amplifier for the antenna. Depends on how many outlets you plan on using on that one antenna. I would try without at first and see what happens.
    Once you make the switch, don't forget to rerun guided setup on the Tivo to use OTA only.

9. BillieBog

BillieBog New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    There are 2 of us doing this and it is a combination of frustration with what we get for what we pay for cable, and just that cable is obsolete, particularly at $70+ per month for "enhanced" basic. That is $850 a year to spend on stuff like a boxee box. I already have netflix and view it thru the TIVO's (the kids love it and it is less than $10 a month).

Thanks for the advice. We thought we could use the cable wiring, just weren't positive. Probably will go for outside antenna because not much more cost than buying 3 individual rabbit ears and possibly better reception particularly since we can tie into the wiring already in the house.

Down with cable :up: