Moving ... a few questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ozbone, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ozbone

ozbone New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    After a long, long wait I have a buyer for my house and we're packing up to move; we're headed to FL from MD.
    Basic question is ... will our current recordings remain intact or should I transfer them to my Mac ?
    I'll be taking my current Cisco multi-stream card but have no clue whether it'll work with my new provider ... Comcast; any tips ?
    Thanks

2. RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    Yes, your current recordings will stay intact. However, there's no harm in backing them up. If your mover drops your TiVo.....

The CableCard will have to be paired again with your new provider or it won't work.

Do you really own your own CableCard? I thought you could only lease them from the cable company?

3. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Recordings are always intact, unless you delete them manually, or through the Settings Menu "Clear and Delete Everything" option.

Of course, the only other possibility(that I can think of) is drive failure.

4. ozbone

ozbone New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Yes, I do, and confirmed this when I notified them of my move. It's a small town outfit .... and I'm sure I'll miss 'em compared to Comcast down in FL!

5. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You don't need the CableCard to keep watching the old recordings. When I recently moved from Texas to Kentucky, all of my cable channel season passes moved over to the correct channels after guided setup, but none of the network shows remapped correctly. I had to set those passes up again. All of the recordings made when I had a CableCard from Time Warner worked without their card, and still work after installing Insight Cable's card.

6. RangerOne

RangerOne The Hub

Dec 30, 2006
    Cool. It's an interesting question. According to Comcast's site:

Can I purchase a CableCARD, and if so, where?

CableCARD ready devices can be purchased at retail stores, but the CableCARD, which is necessary to activate the video service, is provided by Comcast. The CableCARD can be provided as part of a professional installation or self-installation.

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/F...e&folder=1d57bd4f-4607-409c-b5dd-95f2d79475cc

Before you brought this up, I have never seen a reference to a customer owned CableCARD. I suggest you try it. Now that self-install are supported, you could just call up and ask to pair your card and see what happens.

I wonder if there's something in the FCC rules about this? Anyone?

7. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not worth the hassle, nor does the FCC regulate this aspect. He says its a Cisco card - Cisco devices have a unique encryption key that the cable company's headend has to have in its database. No key, no communication, no authorization. Even if you could get the system that sold you the card to export the key - there's not a snowball's chance in a warm place that you'll get Comcast to import it.

Don't take my word for it, here's a credible explanation:
    http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=470539&postcount=8

Try to sell the Cisco card to someone within the service area it came from. You'll have to rent one (and a TA, if the system is SDV) from Comcast.