Movers plan vs "New customer"?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by mmackjay, Dec 5, 2007.

1. mmackjay

mmackjay New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Central...

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I currently live in an apartment where I have a wonderful DirecTivo box (standard def), and the old oval antennae (3 LNB).

I am about to move to my own condo, where shortly after I will finally get an HDTV, and will want HDTV service from DirecTV (and a DVR that is capable of recording HD).

I know I'll need a different, newer antennae for the MPEG4 HD sats, and of course a new receiver/recorder, but my question is:

Should I use the "mover's program" or whatever it is called, or cancel my current subscription (I am not on contract, I pay month to month $47.99 for Total Choice and $5.99 for Tivo) and pretend I am a new customer at the new place?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of either plan?

Thanks!

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    If you use the movers connection you would keep your old rate and not have to pay for a new dish as I understand it. If you become a new user you have to pay the new user rate (which may be more). Call Directv, have a CSR price it out for you, choose which ever is cheaper for you.:)

3. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    There's no need to cheat. If you talk to a CSR and explain your options, s/he SHOULD find you the best deal.

As you're not under contract, you have negotiating power. Don't forget to mention that E* (Dish) are offering a FREE HD DVR with their package! ;)

4. kdelande

kdelande TiVo-Wobble

Dec 17, 2001
    Louisville,...
    Also, won't you be flagged as a previous customer when you give them your SS# upon registering as a "new" subscriber, if you went that route?

Didn't think you could actually pretend to be new and get away with it (sans using a GF/Spouse/other SS#)

KD

5. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006

Advertisements

I don't think so. there has been a lot of changes and I don't think they can even ask for your SSN nowadays. Records are related to phone numbers, not SSNs.

When I moved, I looked into the offers out there and called E* for their best. I was told that as a previous customer, I wasn't entitled to anything. I am not nor have ever been a customer of Dish! Turns out I kept the same phone number and was linked to that. I had Dish for about one day when the installer put it in and then had to come and remove it because the company that sold it to me lied about the capabilities of the equipment.

A D* installer told me that if I wanted to get viewed as a new customer, all I needed to do was give them my cell number instead.

6. mmackjay

mmackjay New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Central...
    Dang sounds like I don't have the option of being a new customer anyway, as I only have 1 phone number and that's my cell. Oh well. Thanks for the posts!