Move the progress bar to the top of the screen option

Discussion in 'TiVo Suggestion Avenue' started by unitron, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Apr 5, 2011 #1 of 19
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Since everybody else puts everything else at the bottom of the screen (snow closings, stock tickers, basketball game scores during game, etc.), why isn't there an option to move the progress bar to the top of the screen?

2. wheatman82

wheatman82 New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    agreed, or be able to adjust the transparency of the bar.

3. Brent W

Brent W Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Auburn...
    just press the clear button to hide the bar

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So I should do extra work because it never occured to TiVo that everybody else already piles everything on the bottom of the screen, when they could have, oh, I don't know, actually innovated and thought outside the box?

5. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    would it be nice<sure.

but-"extra work"? this is one button and the remote is in your hand>

i would much rather they spend their innovation time on other things>

6. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

They shouldn't spend their time on it now, they should have thought of it originally, when developing the Series 1s, as the problem of everyone putting everything on the bottom of the screen was already quite well known at the time.

7. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    I agree Tivo shouldn't waste time on adding an option that is reasonable and would take little effort to implement in order to appease it's customers.

Tivo should spend all of it's time working on implementing more Pay Per View options, adding a subscription priced weather, news, stock app. And if not some new form of asking us for more money daily, then a far better Tivo for a cable company to give away then anything for us original customers.

I scoff at your intelligent idea. Your obviously a Tivo newbie.

8. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    There's also an S-P-S code that does a "quick-clear". I don't have it implemented, and I'm too lazy to search for it, but it has been discussed in the past.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The problem with that is that it basically removes all functionality from the progress bar.

10. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    How does it "remove all functionality"?

IMO, it doesn't even have a function except for the annoying "accidentally click here to see some lame ad in HD that may possibly crash your box" feature. OK, it's not that bad....but it is lame and does get in the way.

The code to quick-clear is as follows, but precede it with this: Pause your show (some annoying click here for content bar will show up); then click down (that bar goes away), then proceed with the SPS code Select-Play-Select-Pause-Select.

Lots more here.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Maybe they've changed how it works since I tried it out years ago, but back then, you wouldn't be able to get the progress bar up for more than a small fraction of a second. Which made it hard to figure out how far into a show you were.

12. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    On my universal remote I added a Clear command to the Pause and Play buttons. That way I still get the bar while seeking, but it clears immediately when I don't want it.

13. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Ha! That's pretty darn clever! :up: :D

14. ThreeSoFar

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    ? I don't understand why you wouldn't just implement the SPSPS. ?

15. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    My experience with the SPSPS code is that it works for me, but I seem to have to repeat it every day for it to work.

16. ThreeSoFar

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    Should only have to do so once each reboot (say, for an upgrade).

How's your house power? Do you have it UPS'd?

17. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I like having it there during FF and REW, and with my Philips Pronto remote it only took a few minutes to modify the config.

18. MHunter1

MHunter1 TiVo Bug Hunter

Oct 11, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Here's how I was able to activate the undocumented feature that automatically hides the green progress bar during fast-forward, rewind, skip, and pause. It worked even after a TiVo service update disabled the Pause Menu.

While playing a recorded program or watching live TV, activate the Channel Banner by pressing Right until just the banner is shown without the extra transparent info frame then press Select-Play-Select-Pause-Select before the banner disappears in about 4 seconds.

The channel banner is only needed to activate the SPSPS code, not to de-activate it.

I've only tested this method on a Series 2 TiVo and would like to know if it worked reliably for others.

19. joevorndran

joevorndran New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Yes, this works on Series3's too. Thanks a bunch on this find!