Move from Series 3 HD to Premier

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jbriley3, Aug 5, 2011.

1. jbriley3

jbriley3 New Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    So, here I go AGAIN. This is my fourth Tivo. :-(

I see how I can move my Season Passes to the new Tivo at the Tivo website.

What am I into with the "card". Will I need to call TimeWarner for a Tech. to visit and install; or will I be able to just swap the card to the Premier. I have the "tuner" too. I guess that just plugs in to the Premier.

Some guidance would probably save me a lot of time and frustration.

Thanks.

2. Timber

Timber Active Member

Apr 28, 2002
    NoVA
    My Series 3 already had 2 m-cards so I just pulled one from it, put it in my Premiere and i was rolling.

-=Tim=-

3. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If your original Series 3 cards were "M" cards you would be correct, but if the OP has "S" cards in his his Series 3 it will not work. On most cable systems when you move any cable card the cable co. has to pair the card to the new system, for most channels (except HBO types) the card will at first appear to work, but if pairing is needing then, within 30 or so days, the card will stop working. This timing feature is to keep one from hacking the card control RF after the card is set up, cancel all your premium channels and the card would never know as it can't see the cable co control signal.

4. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    My Series 3 died back in December an was lucky enough to get a Premiere for nadda, now this 4 month old Tivo's drive is going south, duh?:thumbsdown:

5. jbaum

jbaum Member

Jul 23, 2002
    How did you manage to do that?