Move drive to other tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Arcady, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I have a quick dumb newbie question. One of my SD-DVR40's (that I upgraded with a 250gb drive) has a busted s-video connector. I have a perfectly good Samsung 4040 sitting here, but it has the original drive installed. If I move the drive from the Hughes to the Samsung, can I do a C&D and retain everything like season passes, hacks, TWP, etc? I don't care about the recordings on the Hughes (and I can move them via MRV to a 3rd unit anyway.)

Will this work between brands, or must I use another Hughes box to move to?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    No. The SD-DVR40 and the Samsung use different image files, so you cannot simply swap hard drives. And even they were the same brand/model DVR, you still need to perform a Clear & Delete Everything which wipes out your recordings, Season Passes, and other settings.

3. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Okay. Will a C&D remove the hacks I have applied to enable MRV, etc? Will TWP still be on the drive?

Or should I just upgrade the Samsung's drive, hack it, then apply a season pass backup from the Hughes via TWP?

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The C&DE won't affect hacks applied to the TiVoApp or are independant programs or scripts. It will undo hacks made in the mfs database.

You can liekly back up and restore the SPs fine.

5. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Not exactly true. All series 2 DTivos use the exact same OS so the images are interchangeable as of OS version 3.1.1c (?), even between RID and non-RID models. You will, however, have to do a C&DE to get rid of the error #51 message. This does wipe all of your settings and recordings and return everything to virgin status.