Move drive from damaged tivo to replacement tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by rickh925, Jul 27, 2007.

1. rickh925

rickh925 New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    I just received a replacement Tivo for the DT Tivo that I currently have. One of the tuners seems to have died so Tivo replaced it for me. I took my 500gig drive out of the old Series 2 DT Tivo and just put it in the new Series 2 DT Tivo but it doesn't seem to work. I get a message that there is a hardware problem that has to be resolved before any shows can be recorded.

When I try to look at the recorded shows it says that there is a "Problem Found" and that I need to restart the Tivo which I did to no avail.

I don't mind taking the drive that came with the new Tivo and blow away the 500gig drive loosing all of my shows and stuff but would rather not loose my Season Passes and such.

Any suggestions?

Rick

2. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    The first time your first tivo booted up, it set a key in the tivo software tying it to the cryptochip in that tivo's motherboard. Since you put the drive in another tivo with a different chip, you'll need clear that key to marry the drive to the new motherboard. The easiest way to fix this is to do a "Clear and Delete Everything." It will wipe all shows and settings.

There technically are ways to salvage your shows, but they can be quite laborious and require a good bit of hacking. The encryption scheme of the recordings is tied to the old cryptochip also, so for that (among other reasons) the methods to due so can't be discussed on this board.

3. rickh925

rickh925 New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Thanks, I thought that was the case but wanted to ask before I deleted everything.