Move Cablecard to differnt Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by MassMan, Apr 30, 2019.

1. MassMan

MassMan Member

Mar 19, 2019
    I have Comcast, and would like to move my CC to a different Tivo.

Has anyone been able to do this via the self service site that Comcast has or do you need to call?

Is there an issue if Comcast doesn't "unpair" it with the current Tivo? Is that even a "thing"?

Thank you

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    My money says the card will work but will need to be paired, especially if they (Comcast) use the equipment number. The channel list will be the same. Please try it and post the results.

When I changed hard drives the card needed to be paired. I waited about a year.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  3. MassMan

MassMan Member

Mar 19, 2019
    I'll be trying tomorrow. Thanks for the input.

4. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You will need to pair it and the odds are strongly against the "new activation" self service site working for that.
    However all they need to change is the data ID and as long as you get the US-based cableCARD activation line you'll be fine, if you get normal customer service they will be all sorts of useless, make sure you get confirmation they are the CableCARD line and it will take under 5 minutes.

I went through this last week, the normal reps kept claiming they could do it, but they couldn't, when I finally called back on Monday and got the normal CableCARD line it was easy peasy.

5. MassMan

MassMan Member

Mar 19, 2019
    Thank you for the extra info from a personal experience.

6. May 1, 2019 #6 of 12
    davidscarter

davidscarter Active Member

Sep 28, 2015
    I did this a few years ago, moved my existing CableCard from a TiVoHD to a Roamio Pro. Called the Comcast CableCard line, told the rep. what I wanted to do, and she walked me through it (had to read a bunch of numbers to her). It took about 10 minutes, and was straightforward. Just make sure you call the Comcast CableCard number (1-877-405-2298) and don't try to go through regular Xfinity help!

(Also make sure you have the rep. read back the numbers to you as you go, and verify that things are working—including any premium channels—before you get off the line with them.)

mjthor1 and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  7. May 2, 2019 #7 of 12
    mjthor1

mjthor1 Member

May 31, 2006
    Arizona
    Write this number down, put it in your phone. It saved me a lot of time. The people that answer this line are the only ones that speak cable cards at Comcast

8. May 2, 2019 #8 of 12
    KJN

KJN Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Boston area
    Yes. you will have to pair the card just like a new one. It still took me 4 tries calling the cablecard number to get someone who knew how to do it. With the right person, it was easy. It was just too hard to get the right person.

9. May 3, 2019 #9 of 12
    short circuit1

short circuit1 New Member

Feb 24, 2019

10. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I have found in those cases I was routed to the standard line not the CableCARD line when I've had that issue, apparently the Comcast phone routing will send you to normal support via the CableCARD line if the CableCARD team is busy.

11. KJN

KJN Member

Feb 24, 2019
    Boston area
    What you said may well be true. I have been pairing cards with the cablecard number for over 10 years, and would be surprised if they have been transferring me without knowing it. They answer as cablecard support.

12. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm saying I've called the CableCARD line and the people answering are not the CableCARD team nor do they announce themselves as such and when I asked they said they were just customer support, this was only 2 weeks ago so it happens.