Motorola DCT2524 Cable Box

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by gcoke115, May 31, 2007.

1. gcoke115

gcoke115 New Member

May 31, 2007

Advertisements

I recently upgraded to Digital Cable in College Station. We have Suddenlink Digital Cable with the Motorola DCT2524 Cable Box. I tried to hook up my series 2 Tivo. I got through most of the setup but when I tried to hook up the serial cable from the tivo to the cable box I got an error message saying the Tivo was unable to change the channel on the cable box using the serial cable. I have read other forums saying that I should change the manufacturer from Motorola to GI, or call the cable company to make sure the serial port is enabled. Oh and the IR cables are pure junk. Takes about 5 seconds to change the channel and ony works about half the time. Anyone have any suggestions???

2. gcoke115

gcoke115 New Member

May 31, 2007
    Ttt

3. hockeyinsd

hockeyinsd New Member

Sep 22, 2005
    I would check to see if the serial port is enabled. If it isn't, and your cable co. won't enable it, your only option is the IR blasters. IR blasters can be tough to setup correctly, but once you do I find that they are just as reliable (although a little slower at channel changes) as serial connection. The trick is finding the right spot and the right speed to change the channel. The tivo has fast-medium-slow for channel changes. I have always used the IR on medium and it is about 2 seconds or so to see the video. I believe it is function of the Tivo needing to buffer a second or so the hard drive. It looks like you had analog cable before and there is a noticable difference in channel change times between analog (tivo internal tuner) and digital (external STB). When I had serial control many years ago on the motorola stb, it was a tad bit quicker on channel changes, although I had more missed channels with serial than with IR. In all my years of having tivo, I've been through 2 different cable boxes (one serial, one IR) and 3 satellite boxes and have never had more than 2 missed channel changes a year. IMO it all lies in the setup of the IR blaster. Not too close, but not too far away. Once you get it set it should be good.