Motorola CableCards

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by lillevig, Dec 25, 2011.

1. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I currently have an S3HD and a Premiere that use Motorola M-cards. My provider is Suddenlink and they charge $3.99/month per card (only a buck less than an HD set top box). I've seen eBay sellers offering the Motorola cards but I've also read somewhere online that not all CableCards will work with Tivos or that they need "special programming" to work with Tivos. Nothing on the Suddenlink website says that specific versions of Motorola cards are needed and I can't trust their techs to know the answer. Anybody know if this is fact or fiction? If nothing else, I'd like to buy a card and use my spare Premiere to get my HD channels on a spare TV. If it works, I'd just as soon buy cards for the other boxes and stop renting.

2. Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    Suddenlink user in Amarillo, They won't let you use your own cable card. The serial number must be in their system for them to pair it. Already tried (anyone in Canada want a Motorola M-Card:)

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Thanks. That saves me $20 and some frustration. Funny (or not) thing is that they had trouble pairing their own cards in both boxes.

4. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Only some extremely small cable companies will allow customers to use their own cablecards. And that is only because it is not that easy for them to obtain.

5. trade

trade Tivo Addict

Sep 1, 2005
    Fullerton, CA
    Yes it's true you can not owned the cable card