Mother-in-law wants a tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by John7777, Dec 19, 2018.

1. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    I want to set up one of my old ones for her, but the nursing home/apartment only has a weird cable system. There is a coaxial cable that comes out of her wall and plugs into her tv. There is no box, so I am curious if the signal will feed into the TIVO like it does her TV. I plan on just hooking it up and see what happens but was wondering if anyone here has already come across a situation such as this.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It's not weird, it's just different. Is it digital? Is it analog (NTSC)? What does the TV's diagnostics say about the signal? With TiVo Online, select Guide, enter the zipcode, and check for providers. Best chance is with a Premiere. Try connection to both the cable and antenna jacks with a splitter. After install, perform a manual scan for both ant & cable. If the location has a service number for their cable system, call them and ask what signal comes out the jack on wall. Do the channels on the TV correspond to the local lineup?

For zipcode 17931, TiVo has lineups for two prisons. One is digital.

3. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    might not even be cable could be a special satellite lineup

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Or, just a connection to an antenna.

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    What do the channel numbers look like when you tune them? That could be a clue.

6. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    I seem to recall seeing digital channels, so I'm pretty sure it's digital. There also is a strong possibility that it is satellite. I know there are also analog channels on the line up. I like the idea about hooking up an antennae also, or did you mean hooking the cable into the antennae input? I will be using a premiere, and then see if TIVO can give her a free month or two (using my account) to see if it is something she would like or continue to use. Thanks for the info.! Much appreciated!

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I hope you get along well with her, since getting her a TiVo will ensure frequent contact. :D

kpeters59 and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  8. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    TiVo does have a 30 return policy.

If you have a TiVo you are willing to try, you can try running guided setup to see what happens before you pull the trigger.

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. skypros

skypros Ex satellite dealer

May 18, 2015
    Bend, Oregon
    The retirement community is probably Off Air (antenna) with a "hospitality package" from Cable/Satellite injected (modulated) into the the system (Just like a Hotel/Motel)
    IE: local channels are digital (HD).... the hospitality package may include CNN, Discovery, Animal, CNBC, HGTV and maybe sports like ESPN...... these will probably be in analog as HD modulators are very very expensive.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I could write a book on how to determine the type of signal coming from the wall. Easy job if everyone had identical hardware. ;)

11. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    That's what had me a little worried. The ones I have used here at home have been pretty reliable and have seldom given me any trouble, so I'm hoping that a good premiere would be user friendly and hopefully only give her trouble that could be remedied with a phone call.

12. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Yea, she is pretty busy at the home, so it's tough to find time to get over there and do some experiments.

13. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    That sounds like what it is. I remember when my father-in-law was alive and channel surfed, and it was like you said.

14. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Ye
    Yep, I have a premiere I got for ten bucks at the thrift store. I was hoping to get it home and find out it had lifetime service on it, but alas, not this time. It's still a good working unit, so I will try it out and see if her channels come through or not.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    At least in the past, people were able to get Tivo to make 'special channel lineups' for things like this.

Though if you plug it in and go through setup and can actually tune channels (without a cable card), maybe there's already a listing?

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    which premiere? I thought some units they no longer would put new service on..

17. John7777

John7777 Member

Jul 23, 2017
    It's a series 4 with 2 tuners. It may be out of my hands now anyway since my wife said my brother in law has ordered her something from amazon. Not sure what it is, maybe just a streaming box or one of the new amazon DVR's, but since he lives out of state, I'm sure I'll be the sap who has to get that going for her. Too bad she's not like my 91 year old uncle who still has rabbit ears on his old console TV and a top loader VCR that still works!

18. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Oldies, but goodies. :)

19. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    That's only S3 and older models (not the Premiere's yet).

Scott

mattack and krkaufman like this.