Most NBC Stations Are Refusing to Air the 30 Rock Reunion

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by unclehonkey, Jul 15, 2020.

1. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN

Advertisements

Just a heads up

Blerg, Most NBC Stations Won’t Air the 30 Rock Reunion

In a plot twist right out of 30 Rock, NBC’s biggest local affiliate groups have decided not to broadcast the network’s upcoming 30 Rock reunion special, meaning at least half the country won’t be able to see it when it debuts Thursday night. Vulture has learned that Gray Television, Hearst, Nexstar, Tegna, and Sinclair Broadcast Group — huge TV-station groups whose NBC affiliates reach about half the country’s TV homes — have told NBC that they are planning to preempt Thursday’s remotely filmed hour.

The apparent reason for the decision, per sources familiar with the matter: The station owners think the 30 Rock reunion, which was produced by the NBCUniversal ad-sales division as a replacement for the usual upfront presentation, is too much of a promotion for the company’s new Peacock streaming platform.

..both of my NBC stations I get (KARE Minneapolis/Tegna and KMNF-LD1 Mankato/Gray) are not showing it

2. mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mine's a Heart station. Guess I'll have to find it elsewhere.

3. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    And the news coverage of the tiff is sufficient replacement for any advertising benefit airing the special would provide. I'm happy to live in a network owned & operated market. And I'm happy to see movement towards the of obsolescence of network affiliates in general.

4. realityboy

realityboy Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The local station here is preempting it at its regular time but showing it overnight at 2:06am.

5. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD

Advertisements

It’s on stations like USA and others Friday night. I’m recording it there as well as one of my nbc stations that still show it in the guide. USA is my backup.

6. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Here too. But, now I'm less than enthused about watching this, if it's just going to shill their fall lineup and Peacock and not just be a straight 30 Rock reunion show.

7. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    I wanted to see it, if for no other reason than to se Liz Lemon's boss in an era where one of the actor's other characters ... and that's all I'm allowed to say based on this site's rules.

8. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    WRC in Washington is an NBC owned-and-operated station going all the way back to the early days of TV, so you can be assured it'll stay on their schedule.

9. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    Even if it is just a big commercial, I still want to see it. I loved that show and would like to see the characters again. It might completely suck, but we'll see.

10. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    Local news special 'Covid-19 in Georgia' showing at 8:00pm tonight!

I binged the whole series not too long ago, so I too want to see the special.

11. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    The NBC stations that are O&O
    NY
    LA
    Chicago
    Philly
    Dallas
    San Fran
    Boston
    Washington DC
    Miami
    San Diego
    Hartford

Top 10 markets where NBC is not owned by NBC/Comcast
    Houston (Graham Holdings)
    Atlanta (Tegna)

12. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Crap like this is why THIS exists!

pirate.png

13. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    I prefer this one ;)

200px-Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers_logo_old_svg.png

MikeMar likes this.
  14. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    OMG, there's ANOTHER Law and Order.

Sorry, should I have spoilerized that?

15. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I watched it last night, it was meh. And it was a huge shill for both Peacock and NBCUniversal networks. It wasn't over the top, but it was pretty obvious. It was fun to see the characters again. Tracy Morgan stole the show IMO.

16. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/30-rock-reunion-episode-review-peacock

For a fleeting moment, the Liz Lemon we loved was back, exactly where we'd expect her to be in 2020: out on the street in New York City, harassing a maskless stranger.

That moment didn't last. Once Liz drove the mask-shirker away, and the jaunty-jazzy opening credits rolled, 30 Rock: A One Time Special shed its "consumer-friendly reunion" façade and revealed its true form: a hourlong promo for NBCUniversal and its new streaming platform, Peacock. Fans tuned in to see a remotely-shot reunion episode, a la Parks and Recreation's sweetly funny fundraiser back in April. What they got was a series of disjointed 30 Rock-themed shill-sketches that required Tracy Morgan to say things like, "One platform, your ad dollars, reaching the exact person you want them to reach!" The program was so full of wonky Madison Avenue buzzwords and slick marketing-speak that it's hard to believe it was ever intended to play for a consumer audience at all.

Steveknj likes this.
  17. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I'm half way through this right now. I think it is worth watching. Basically the commercial breaks are all commercials for NBC Universal stuff. They do mention Peacock in the 30 Rock episode some, but it's not like the entire thing is a plug for it.

18. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I would say if you are a fan of 30 Rock, it is worth watching. You can skip over the commercials(plugs for NBC Universal) like any other commercial. I didn't think the actual 30 Rock show spent an obscene amount of time plugging NBC Universal. I even laughed out loud a couple times. Tracy Jordsn stuff got me laughing a couple times.

mlsnyc likes this.
  19. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Actually, there is another L&O on NBC's fall schedule - Law & Order: Organized Crime. However, I have a feeling NBC may be delaying its fall premieres by at least a week; assuming America's Got Talent works the way it has in the past few years, the finale will be on Wednesday 9/29.

And were Kevin Brown (DotCom) and Katrina Bowden (Cherie) too busy or something?

20. Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    The '30 Rock' reunion special was a joyless Peacock ad
    What they got was a series of disjointed 30 Rock-themed shill-sketches that required Tracy Morgan to say things like, "One platform, your ad dollars, reaching the exact person you want them to reach!" The program was so full of wonky Madison Avenue buzzwords and slick marketing-speak that it's hard to believe it was ever intended to play for a consumer audience at all.