Most efficient way to connect a standard switch to a POE switch?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by siratfus, Feb 2, 2021.

1. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008

Advertisements

Hey Guys, so I have a POE switch that has 4 link ports and 2 uplink ports. I'm hooking it up to my existing unmanaged Network switch, which is non-POE. I'd like to know what's the point or significance of these labels? Because no matter the configuration, they all work for me. So I'm not understanding the significance of the ports labeled UP. Here are the scenarios I tried:

1. Ethernet from MOCA adapter goes to the #5 UP port of this POE Switch. Port #1 of this POE switch is then linked to an unmanaged Network Switch. Everything works!

2. Ethernet from MOCA adapter goes to port #1 of the unmanaged Network Switch. Port # 2 of unmanaged switch is connected #5 UP port of POE Switch. Everything works!

3. Ethernet from MOCA adapter goes to port #1 of POE Switch. Port #2 of POE Switch is linked to unmanaged Switch. In this scenario, I didn't even use any of the UP links. Everything works!

Are any of these scenarios slower than the other, or may cause issues down the line? BTW, in all the scenarios above, I did not test any connected POE devices such as cameras. I was just testing internet access of my pc and Tivo Stream 4k stick. Would any of the connection scenarios above cause an IP camera dependent on POE to not work? What Is the CORRECT and most efficient way to connect the POE Switch to my network?

Thank you in advance!

POE switch.jpg

2. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Knowing the make and model of that switch would help alot, it looks like and old EKI or EDI, but I can't find an exact match.

I'll point out that it's only a 10/100 switch, not a gigabit switch.

That said, I'm 95% sure you have a 6 port switch. Four of the ports are PoE. And that's about the end of it. The UP ports aren't anything special, they're just not PoE, so they're intended for uplinks.

The switch on the right side could do a number of things. It might be a manual voltage selector for the PoE ports, since the switch likely predates PoE power negotiation, it could be a "best do it right, or you fry the device" sort of thing. (Again, exact switch model would lead towards a manual or spec sheet that might answe the question). Or, it could be an 'extender' setting for the Up ports, as ethernet is only good to 100m, some switches of this class have an extender switch that tries to throw the uplinks up to 250m.

Regardless, ignoring PoE, it's likely just an 6 port switch, and all your scenarios work, because they're all equally valid, because all the ports are essentially the same.

siratfus likes this.
  3. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Ah, thank you! So they're all the same, except the Uplinks do not provide POE. So if you use one of the 4 POE ports to daisy chain the network, then you're just wasting a POE spot? That's the worst that's happening? I was worried if the you didn't hook this up a certain way, you can get network issues later.

4. brobin

brobin Active Member

Feb 14, 2014