Morning Spam

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Anotherpyr, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015

Advertisements

Is this the new norm?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Seems that way. It has been the norm on TiVo's support forums for months.

3. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    I’ve dealt with this form of spam before, and it’s hard to stay on top of. The best defense is limiting number of posts in a time frame, but the spammers also use multiple accounts. They promote something about college names that sound real but aren’t.

My advice to members here is to just ignore it. Don’t post about it.

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    What's your suggestion when one forum gets 100 posts overnight? Have you looked at the TiVo support forums? There have been some suggestions made that could help, but just ignoring them will work only when you have the time to wait for the Mods to delete them.

ZenForo can stop me from posting cr**. it must be smart enough to detect English. At the least they must be a violation of ToS.

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

Report but don't post.

6. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 26, 2017
    Elizabeth, CO
    Tivo support has handled the issue...

Announcements & alerts
    The TiVo Help Forums will be decommissioned on October 31st. TiVo would like to thank all of our All-Stars, forum members and viewers for participating in our community, asking great questions and helping each other.

cwerdna, Mikeguy, aaronwt and 2 others like this.
  7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    One hopes TiVoCommunity will be able to arrive at a different solution... :D

cwerdna likes this.
  8. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Since they can't make it useful that's a relief, preventing much wasted effort by those who posted there without realizing how useless it was. Kind of a shame though.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That's what I did. I reported several of those posts as SPAM, around 6:30 this morning.
    I've seen SPAM here before but I've never seen many dozens of posts like that.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Much more help here than from the official TiVo support forums anyway.

unclehonkey likes this.
  11. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    There goes my All-Star status. It's been going downhill for a few years now and I haven't even logged in for at least six months, so it's not much of a loss.

12. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    A homemade captcha would put a stop to it immediately for new signups. We had the same problem at one of the other forums I'm on and after they put a few picture captchas on registration, POOF, all spam gone.

13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The forum doesn't check for profanity when it's in Chinese. :D

BTW, all those posts translate to what looks like ads for counterfeit diplomas.

14. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Post about it til the cows come home, then post some more. This isn't a matter of a troll seeking attention, ignoring it will NOT make it go away. Quite the opposite in fact.

Counter to the claim that there's not much to do about it, it's really easy to deal with, multiple methods immediately come to mind. Can't post until you verify your email address, can't post for X number of hours after creating account, limit number of posts in a time frame from an account/ip address, captcha was mentioned. Sitting here and letting them do it until nobody cares is what killed the TiVo forums (OK, one of the things, but that's a dead horse of another color).

DO NOT JUST IGNORE IT!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    JoeKustra likes this.
  15. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I suspect that whatever can be done, will be done. Because I suspect the mods hate dealing with this even more than we do, since they actually have to do the work of deleting the spam threads and accounts.

16. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    What I meant was that we, the users, should ignore it and not post about it. The mods/admins will take care of it. Yes, there are things the admins can do to make it harder for the spammers, but it is pointless and non-helpful for users to start new threads about spam(except perhaps in "Operations Center", and definitely don't reply to spam. The spammers will never see it. Just report the spam using the button at the lower left of every post, and then move on. It also doesn't help to send multiple reports for the same spammer.

dlfl likes this.
  17. stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Now this I agree with, quite heartily. A new thread for each spam attack gets old really quickly.

18. Anotherpyr

Anotherpyr Active Member

May 6, 2015
    Why homemade when there is Googles recaptcha? reCAPTCHA | Google Developers

19. DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn Active Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Jupiter, FL
    I solved it very easily on the forums I run. Just have a validation question required for posting in the forum. For example, what color is snow*. If the spammer bot cannot answer, they don't have access to posting. All our spam disappeared over night and hasn't returned.

*Not snow in NYC. :)

20. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    They should go back to having some of the TiVo Support people monitoring and replying here then (@TiVo_Ted).

Scott

cwerdna likes this.