1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More than 12 active devices?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by eric_mcgovern, Dec 7, 2017 at 12:02 AM.

1. eric_mcgovern

eric_mcgovern Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Apologies if this has been answered before - I couldn't find recent information in search.

I have been struggling with getting my new TiVo Mini Vox's to work. They seem to work for a bit, then lose connection with the host dvr. I have tried everything, switching the network, going from MoCA back to Ethernet and nothing seems to work. I even returned one, only to find I have the same issue. The only one that works is the one I ordered directly from TiVo (black Friday sale). If I hook my old TiVo Mini up in the exact same location with the same ethernet - it works just fine.

Then I recall reading somewhere that TiVo limits you to 12 active devices per account. I pulled up my account and there are 15 active devices (I don't have 15 devices - just over the years have collected lifetime units that never fall off the account). Could this be causing the issue I am seeing? Just not sure what happens when you go over the limit and how to fix it.

2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I had this problem; just move the devices you no longer use to inactive.

krkaufman likes this.
  3. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    How? Can you do it online or do you have to call TiVo? I didn't see anywhere online to do this.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Could? Yes. @ej42137's plan is sound, though after updating your account info via tivo.com, you'll want to make sure you force a manual service connection on any host DVRs you have, followed by the same on your Minis. (Similar to the basic Mini activation process)

edit: p.s. Posted before actually checking My Account on tivo.com. Doing so now.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Looks like you have to call TiVo. :( I see a link for reactivating an inactive device but no similar link for deactivation.

6. eric_mcgovern

eric_mcgovern Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Was going to ask the same - I will try to call TiVo today. Would be nice to remove my really old units from the active area.

worachj and krkaufman like this.
  7. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    You can call TiVo to inactivate them completely, but all I had to do was disable Video Sharing and Video Downloads on the Device Preferences menu for my unused devices. (I could reproduce the problem by enabling the functions again.)

worachj likes this.
  8. eric_mcgovern

eric_mcgovern Member

Jan 8, 2002
    About how long did it take to move over to inactive? I just changed the preferences and it wasn't immediate, but I figure it could take a few minutes.

9. eric_mcgovern

eric_mcgovern Member

Jan 8, 2002
    I just ended up using chat and they moved all my old stuff to a new account - now to see if everything works!

krkaufman likes this.
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You'll likely want to force service connections...

11. eric_mcgovern

eric_mcgovern Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Well that fixed it pretty much immediately. I may be a crazy edge case, but having had TiVo since 2001 - it isn't too hard to imagine that a person would have more than 12 devices. An error message on the TiVo would have been nice, rather than just simply not working. Odd thing is some "beta" units are still sitting there as active...not that there are any betas....

krkaufman likes this.
  12. ej42137

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I wasn't clear; just turning off ("inactivating" was a confusing word choice on my part) Multi Room connection properties fixed the problem for me, without actually moving anything to the inactive category.

Apparently the Minis count, but their connections can't turned off. If unused Minis were someone's problem, they'd have to call TiVo to get them inactivated to reduce the connection count below twelve.

13. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, better yet,call me Bill

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I was in the same boat as you. Being a TiVo owner since February of 2001 I had to move my S2's to another account. With 9 on my High Definition account and now 7 on a separate S2 account it fixed my issues as well.