More or less TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Dawny, Sep 15, 2007.

Do you watch more or less TV since you got TiVo (or any DVR)?

1. More TV

29 vote(s)
    72.5%
  2. Less TV

7 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. Same amount of TV

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. I dont watch TV

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't have a DVR

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I don't really know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dawny

Dawny New Member

Mar 13, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    Simple question for DVR owners (TiVo or otherwise ;) )

Do you feel you watch more or less TV than before you got your DVR?

Edit- Poll was added 9/26/07. Please come back and post if you hit this thread before the poll was added. This is a fun one!

Posts #1-40 were up before the poll was added.

2. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Definitely more.

Pre-TiVo/DVR, it was so much of a chore to program VCR's, rotate tapes, keep track of tapes and watch recorded tapes.

Now it's too easy, just schedule a SP or two (or 40x3) and watch at my leisure.

I find myself watching shows I wouldn't have bothered with back in the VCR days.

phox

3. Einselen

Einselen ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Apr 25, 2006
    I would guess probably more shows, however the time used is more efficient as I can watch on my schedule and also zip past the commercials.

4. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    More TV in much less time. Baseball game now takes less than 2 hours. Jeapordy takes 17 minutes. Six o'clock news (one hour show) takes 15 minutes. Etc.

5. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Less. Definitely.

6. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    Less bad TV but more in total. I don't surf for something to watch any longer, simple watch what I want when I want.

7. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    I watch less. No more tv as background noise, no more watching crap cause there's nothing else on.

8. jtlytle

jtlytle Un-Registered User

May 17, 2005
    Sacramento,...
    Less.. I can watch the show I taped when there's nothing good on TV. Before TiVo, If I'm boring then I watch a show I didn't care.

9. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    More TV. I use to miss episodes and not care. Now they are all sitting there lined up for me to watch.

10. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Definitely more. There's always something on the TiVo that I like watching and want to watch. Not necessarily a good thing...

11. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    More, a lot more!!

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    wow, a lot of caveats here, but the summary: The same amount, but smarter

My hours in a day are the same, and I might even watch a tick less in number of minutes due to skipping commercials, but the same number of shows.

However the biggest change is that I never channel surf for something on, I always have something I want to watch waiting for me with 2 Tivos

13. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Less, because I spend all my time on TCF instead.

14. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Much more. Being forced to sit through a non-TiVo experience makes you want to walk away.

15. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    This would have been a good poll (thought I suspect it's been done before)

Without question.....more.... :rolleyes:...(unless I figure in all the commercials I miss, then subtract those minutes from all the extra minutes of programming I watch because of TiVo....then multiply by.....oh.....never mind.....

16. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    More. I still leave HGTV on in the background on the weekends, and anything that was on after 10pm never used to get watched. We only had one VCR, so we really had to pick and choose, plus we often missed stuff because tape labeling was a bear. With the TiVo we just let it record stuff and watch when we can. The only thing I have to do is manage the season passes a bit to make sure stuff that only shows once has higher priority than stuff that repeats.

17. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    +1

And I'll add that with the ability to xfer shows to my computer for extra storage, it's easy to keep track of and watch more shows.

18. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Same here recently. I think that'll change when the new shows start.

19. EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    More: I am on top of new shows, catch a lot more movies (pay channels only, as "edited for time and content" bugs me), but definitely more.

And sports is much more of a "when I feel like it" rather than "when it is on" type of thing. Can't wait for hockey season, hoping for tons of HD!!!

20. Jeshimon

Jeshimon New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    I watch for about the same amount of time, but I enjoy it much much more.