More on Loud Static noise

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by austinsho, Jun 25, 2020.

1. austinsho

austinsho A repeated victim of Time Warner DBA Spectrum

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I've been reading the old threads where a TiVo will suddenly emit a bunch of LOUD STATIC in the audio into the speakers. As far as I can tell, this was an issue as far back as 2014. Well both of my Roamio Pros are now doing this on occasion.

I'm on TE3. Does anyone who is running TE4 ever hear it? Or for that matter was there ever a resolution?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    A quick fix is to put it into standby, wait until the screen is black, then wake it with Tivo (or Live TV) button. This will not interrupt any recording.

3. HoTatII

HoTatII Active Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Hummm ...

I'll keep this procedure in mind ...

As this occasionally happens to me when using PCM audio. And beyond always scaring the bejesus out of me, it causes the TiVo sound effects to disappear afterwards.

And it usually takes several attempts at toggling between DD and PCM audio to restore the sound effects (short of a full restart of course). But if this method works better and after only one attempt, I'll certainly switch to this one.

Thanks. ...

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

4. austinsho

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Since this thing has now gone on for years, it amazes me there hasn't been more screaming about it!

Something else...is this just a Roamio thing, or has it been seen on the Mini as well? If not, perhaps I could run one of those and just use the main Roamio as a server?

5. HoTatII

HoTatII Active Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Actually, I recently had it happen on my new Edge a few days ago ...

Never noticed on the Mini, nor the Bolt. Though I didn't use the Bolt very long until I upgraded to the Edge.

Have had it occur on the Roamios the most over time.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It has happened less and less with my Roamio.

7. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Si non confectus, non reficiat TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    I have only had it happen on my A93 Minis - not on my Bolts or my old Premiere. I had a Roamio, but not for long enough to have it happen.

Only happens in PCM audio mode - can be stopped by switching from PCM>DD>PCM in the Sound menu. Doesn’t stop me from having a coronary every time it happens! Of course, it’s always about eleven at night, right?

8. austinsho

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    You're the first person I've heard say it happens on the Minis. I have two A93s as well and was hoping they would be unaffected by this. Guess not, eh?

9. TivoJD

TivoJD Active Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Polk Co,...
    The thing that always makes me laugh is when that loud sound happens, you instinctively freeze and don't press any buttons on the remote. I have learned that when it happens, just press a button that usually has a sound effect and it stops the static noise.

I have also had it happen once on an A93 mini and I have used one daily since 2015, I remember because the PCM switch to DD didn't fix it and I just rebooted the mini. On Roamios definitely more often.

10. austinsho

Oct 21, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Well, once in five years on a Mini is better than the WEEKLY blasts my Roamios have been giving me! That means my plan of using only two Minis as my main units and putting the Roamio in a closet as a server should work then.