More newbie questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by opus472, Jul 13, 2007.

1. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007

Advertisements

...When browsing the guide, is there a way to skip forward and back by days or hours?

...When you hit Record while in the guide, is there supposed to be some indication that you've selected that program for recording?

...Where is the list of scheduled recordings?

...Is there an explanation of symbols that appear on the Now Playing screen? Yellow circle, etc.

Thanks!

Steve

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    1. I'm not sure
    2. No, but it would be nice. If you're so inclined, use the link in my signature to tell Tivo what you want.
    3. Find programs/To Do List. At the top of the To Do list is a link that will display your recording history. Good to know if you want to know why a particular episode wasn't recorded or why it got deleted.
    4. Sure, right here! When you record a show, you have two options "Keep until I delete" or "Keep until space needed" (you can also switch the status of shows in the Now Playing List (NPL) between those two after the recording has taken place). KUID shows get the green circle. This means that they never ever will get automatically deleted. This can be a dangerous combination when used with low values for the "Keep at most" number op episodes, as if you have KAM=3 and KUID, once your Tivo has recorded 3 episodes of that program, it won't record any more until you delete one of the 3 to make space for it.

In the realm of "space needed" programs, you can have 3 basic states: no icon, yellow circle and yellow circle with an exclamation point. No icon means that the program is not yet eligible for deletion. Yellow circle means that this program will soon be eligible for deletion (within 24 hours, I think) and the exclamation point means it is eligible for deletion at any time. The key word in all of this is ELIGIBLE. You can have yellow exclamation points hanging around forever, if you have they empty space, it simply means that enough time has passed that the program is "on the list" of programs that the Tivo is allowed to delete to make room for new shows.

Via the "keep until" menu on the show's information screen, you can adjust this "keep until" date to a date in the future or to "when I delete" and the icon for the show will change accordingly.

Clear as mud? Hope this helps,
    Ryan

3. Krellion

Krellion ...

May 17, 2002
    Hampton, VA
    Two options: You can use the Rewind and Fast-Forward buttons to skip back and forward by 30 minutes, or you can hit the Enter button to bring up an option screen that will let you jump to a specific date and time, along with other options.

When you have a show selected in the Guide, pressing the Record button will bring up a screen that will let you record that show, select recording options, or set up a Season Pass for the show. If the show is already scheduled to record, the screen will also let you know this and access the options or cancel the recording. Unfortunately, scheduled shows are not marked directly in the Guide; people have requested this option before.

This is called the To Do List. As GoHokies! mentioned, it's under the Find Programs area of the Main Menu, or you can press the TiVo button, then the 2 button to go directly to it.

GoHokies! already covered this quite well, but I'll go over it just for the heck of it (and add a few more). :)

Red dot = the show is currently being recorded
    (no icon) = the show's recording is complete and it is more than 24 hours away from being eligible for deletion
    Green dot = the show is marked as "Keep Until I Delete" and will stay there until you either delete it or change its Keep Until status
    Yellow dot = the show is less than 24 hours away from being eligible for deletion
    Yellow dot with exclamation point = the show is eligible for deletion, but will stick around until the space its using is really needed (previously deleted shows and Suggestions get deleted first)
    TiVo dot = the show was recorded as a Suggestion and can be deleted at any time if space is needed for user scheduled recordings

Folder icon = only if Grouping is on; a group of shows that fall under the same title or were recorded under the same Wishlist, enter it and you'll see the same icons as above; Suggestions and HD recordings also have their own dedicated folders and a show can appear in more than one folder
    Folder icon with red dot = a show within that folder is currently being recorded

4. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Oh, I forgot the blue dot - the program is being downloaded (either a Tivocast or a transfer from another Tivo).

5. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007

Advertisements

Krellion, this is a bit off topic, but can you please explain how you post with multiple separate quotes and responses? Haven't been able to figure out how to do that. Thanks!

6. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Copy and paste.

[-quote][-/quote] quoted text in between, remove the -

7. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Thanks everyone! I'm gonna break out a couple of the questions into separate topics to make it easier to follow...

8. opus472

opus472 Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Thanks! So you have to manually insert each of the

9. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    There is a button that you can hit when you're typing a message that will put the highlighted text inside of quotes also. It looks like a little speech bubble.

10. pl1

pl1 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2007
    MA
    Well, yeah, once. Then copy & paste it as many times as you need to insert a quote.

[-quote]test[-/quote]
    [-quote]test[-/quote]
    [-quote]test[-/quote]