more affordable service fees?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mikenalin, Aug 9, 2007.

1. mikenalin

mikenalin New Member

Aug 9, 2007
    Is there any Tivo competition? I can't afford their new service fees. They seem exorbitantly high. I only us it for getting the daily program guide.

I was happy with Series 2 lifetime, but I had to pass on the Tivo HD because of the high service fee contract.

Anybody know any alternative DVRs or anything (especially HD ones)?

2. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    No other current 3rd party HD DVRs on the market at the moment, you can find discontinued units from LG and sony on EBAY if you look hard enough. Pretty much the only other HD choice is DIY computer based.

If you give up HD you can get a DVD recorder with a hard drive, several vendors now have models out with digital tuners. They are all timer based so no fees. These may evolve to support HD some day, they have HD tuners and HD outputs but don't pass HD.

3. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    If you have a S2 with lifetime, you can get a THD for $6.95 a month.

It doesn't get much more affordable than that.

4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Not exactly true.

Check out:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=791417
    and
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=830253

I admit I haven't really read those threads, but there are some at least ATSC recorders out there.

None AFAIK have cable card slots.

Plus I realize some may nitpick whether they are "DVRs", since I suspect some/many/all are programmed more closely to VCRs.. (though as a total guess without reading those threads, I bet some use "TV Guide On Screen" which provides at least a little bit of guide data for those who can successfully get it).

5. kb7oeb

kb7oeb Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Phoenix,AZ
    ATSC does not equal HD, all those recorders downrez HD to 480i. Even worse the HDMI units convert 1080i down to 480i and then upconvert back to 1080i, fairly pointless. :)

I always thought PVR was a better name for tivo and DVR was better for the less featured but you are right and all of the devices listed are timer based. They also have basic trick play features on live tv.

The LG or sony had a cable card slot, I forget if it was one, the other or both. The sony has an unreliable version of tvguide on screen that can only download via the analog pbs signal going away in 2009.

6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The TivoHD is $8.30/mo if you prepay, or $6.95/mo (no prepay) if you already have another Tivo, or a Tivo with lifetime. Just make sure you buy the TivoHD at retail rather than from Tivo.com.

Tivo is barely making money with those "exorbitant fees." As a company, they lost money every quarter until the last. If Tivo can't make money on a DVR charging those fees, how do you expect someone else to make money without fees?