Moonlight 10/5/2007 (S01E02) "Out of the Past"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Oct 6, 2007 #1 of 19
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Around halfway through this episode I really was ready to dump the season pass. But by the end, I really started to like the character development going on between Mick and Beth and Mick and Josef. I'm glad the reveal to Beth is happening this quickly. I think it's the relationships that have a chance to make this show engaging; it's certainly not the vampires alone.

2. Oct 6, 2007 #2 of 19
    Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    I guess I watch to much CSI and other mysteries, the self inflicted gsw would raise questions.

3. Oct 7, 2007 #3 of 19
    LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I watched this episode, more out of some sense of self-loathing than anything else, apparently, since I hated the first episode so much. I will admit, this episode was better than last week's inauspicious debut. The show has graduated to "Bionic Woman" status, which isn't exactly reaching for the stars. In other words, it's improved from "sheer torture" to "inoffensive and insipid."

Unfortunately, they can't undo the changes for the worst to the typical vampire mythos; you still can't kill a vampire by staking them, for instance, which is terribly disappointing since it was attempted in this episode. Had it worked, we would've been done with this show. Nor can we change the casting choices for this show; Alex O'Loughlin's attempt to act is about as interesting as a bowl of regular instant oatmeal. And Sophia Myles, much as I loved her on Doctor Who, is still seemingly challenged by being asked to simultaneously act and maintain a barely passable American accent.

On the upside, the writing for this episode was a total turnaround from last week's episode, that seemed more at home in some pulp fiction gumshoe novel from the '40s. The improvement can be probably attributed to the sheer talent of David Greenwalt, who came over from another "vampire detective who saves innocents" show called Angel. Unfortunately, this gives me even less hope for the show, knowing that Greenwalt bailed (or was forced out) after 5 episodes, leaving the wonderful talent behind that wrote last week's epic work of fiction.

Unfortunately, though the writing was better, I could not muster anything within eyesight of a care about anyone or anything in this episode. I'm not quite sure if this is due to the lack of interest in Mick St. John (Mick? Really?!?!?) or if there just wasn't anything in this episode that allowed me to connect to it. We see Mick ain't Angel... he is willing to chow down on humans, as long as they're bad enough (or pretty and vapid enough, apparently.... look out, Beth) so I really couldn't care now if someone dusts him or not. (Although since they've destroyed vampire mythos, killing a vamp is apparently harder than winning the lottery, so good luck on that one.)

Josef was probably the most interesting part of this episode. Jason Dohring was less rigid than last week, making me think that stiffness was mostly his way of coping with the horrible writing. I'd like to see him bring a little more fun and frivolity to the character, though... Josef is still much too serious for my taste. One would think after suriving 400 years or whatever, that you'd begin to believe yourself somewhat invincible and take things a little more lightly, rather than becoming sour and ultra-serious.

I was amused to see another "driving" scene in this episode. It looked every bit as cheap and fake as last week. Is this really the best that they can do these days to depict a driving scene, someone sitting in a motionless car on a stage with stock footage projected against the backdrop? Really?

I would say I won't be watching next week... but as I said, apparently I hate myself quite a bit (plus, there's nothing else on television on Friday nights) so I probably will be. Sigh.

4. Oct 7, 2007 #4 of 19
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    You'd think Mick would be bright enough to change his identity every 30 years or so. :rolleyes:

5. Oct 7, 2007 #5 of 19
    Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    This episode said that he had been a vampire for 50 years. Didn't the first one say he'd been one for 90?

6. Oct 7, 2007 #6 of 19
    dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    I think the idea is that he used to feed on humans, before the incident with Beth as a girl. That experience gave him a crisis of conscience or something, which is when he switched to packaged blood.

No, the fist one said he was eighty-something years old, which makes sense if he was turned when he was thirty-something.

7. Oct 7, 2007 #7 of 19
    Shakhari

Jan 2, 2005
    That makes more sense. He would have been born around 1920, so he would have been 30-ish when the picture in the book was taken.

8. Oct 7, 2007 #8 of 19
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I have to wonder why all TV and movie vampires these days seem to know karate?

Ya think it's like the vampire toaster?
    - get eternal life - AND your black belt!

9. Oct 7, 2007 #9 of 19
    Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I love this show!! I can't wait to see the next one. This is right in there with the types of shows I enjoy!!

10. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I read somewhere that they had a new writer come in with the second episode, but I don't know that he does any more. The entire tone changed. I saw the third episode already as part of a focus group and I am salivating to see if it is the same as I already saw or if they changed things.

I think the inconsistent writing is this shows biggest weakness (besides the actress who plays Beth).

11. PajamaFeet

PajamaFeet This Is Delicious

Mar 25, 2004
    in front of...
    Can vampires cut and grow their hair? I would have liked to see Mick with an 80s style 'do in some of the flashback footage.

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, they probably can, but getting the style right is rather tough since they can't see what they're doing in the mirror.

13. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    With being able to be digitally photographed/videoed now :rolleyes: , I guess they have a workaround.

14. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Think about it: you're immortal, unless someone kills you, which can generally only be done up close & personal (eg. decapitation here, or stakes in other mythos). Wouldn't it make sense to invest some of your infinite free time into learning self-defense techniques?

15. Shakhari

Jan 2, 2005
    Or wear kevlar.

16. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Doesn't work if they manage to pin you down and rip your vest off. Or just decapitate you or set you on fire. The key is to not get pinned down by anyone (which Mick failed miserably at here, admittedly due to something that Kevlar would have helped with).

17. Gai-jin

Gai-jin Active Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Quad City...
    I just watched the 1st two episodes this weekend, and found it better than I expected. Of course, since it's a new show, and I like it, that means it's destined to be canceled before the season ends.

18. brnscofrnld

brnscofrnld where is this place?

Mar 29, 2005
    NW. DC.
    I said the exact same thing when I saw that scene.

Stick around and tell the cops to check for GSR. Crime solved.

19. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    No it wasn't. TJ knew it wouldn't kill him, only paralyze him, and he didn't stake him in the heart, he only threatened to. Thus explaining why Mick's sire was possibly unable to escape the fire, although probably did anyway.