Moonight - 10/12/07 - Dr Feelgood

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Sadara, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I enjoyed this episode a lot more, mostly because some additional back story was filled in. I enjoy this type of theme anyway and I also think the show is good!!

2. packerfan

packerfan Elk Whisperer

Jan 7, 2002
    Titletown
    I agree, I like how this show is progressing.

3. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I am teetering on the brink of SP deletion. The acting is just not good IMHO. And am I alone in seeing Elizabeth Rohm every time the blonde actress is on screen?

4. PajamaFeet

PajamaFeet This Is Delicious

Mar 25, 2004
    in front of...
    She does remind me of Elisabeth Röhm too.

I like that Mick is perpetually 30 and we finally found out he was turned on his wedding night. Seems like he married late for his generation. I definitely wouldn't like the show as much with a main character that was 18 or 20.

It's not my favorite new show, but I like Moonlight.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Sophia Myles joins Michelle "Bionic Woman" Ryan on my list of actresses who have done very fine work in England, but under the burden of an American accent become very dull. I'd go so far as to say Myles is worse than Ryan (as an American, that is)...

6. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I liked this episode more than the first two. As they get into the "rules" of their reality, I'm getting drawn in. I like the stake paralyzing them instead of killing them. Nice twist.

7. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm keeping this SP for a while. More than enough room on the hard drive for now.

8. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    Same here. I'm interested to see where the series is going and their different rules on vampire mythology are a refeshing change of pace.

9. ruexp67

ruexp67 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    It doesn't seem to paralyze their lips or tongue though. :rolleyes:

10. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    I mentioned this before, but I was in a focus group for this episode of the show before the first episode aired.

Everyone agreed that the twist on Vampire Myths was the most interesting thing about the show. One interesting thing is they actually made changes to the show based on feedback. If you watched the previously part at the beginning, things like showing the Door of Mick St. John Private Investigator was not there. Most people did not know he was a PI until it was casually mentioned late in the episode. I have not had a chance to watch the rest of it to see if they changed anything else that was discussed.

I assume the reporter is still there...yet everyone did not like her character.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Do you mean not everyone liked her character, or nobody liked her character?

12. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Where was Kevin Weisman (the cameraman guy)? I enjoyed him in Alias. I wonder if they cut his character?

13. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Yeah, and it's actually within the bounds of the original folk superstition. Vampires were undead, so you couldn't exactly "kill" them (unless you destroyed the body); they were staked to the earth to prevent them from rising from their grave.

14. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    The "american" accent on both of them is very convincing though. I didn't even know the Bionic Woman was a brit until I read it here.

You want a truly horrendous job at trying to sound American, check out Eddie Izzard in 'The Riches'. :eek: :)

As for the show, with each passing episode it's starting to look more and more like a ripoff of Forever Knight. I'm almost positive that FK even had a "confused newbie goes on a spree and has to be put down" episode also.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The "tell" on both of them is that they over-enunciate, they speak in a very careful, mannered fashion (especially Myles). Compare them with, say, Anthony LaPaglia or Anna Friel, who sound very natural.

16. FilmCritic3000

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    I agree, although every once and a while I notice a slight over-enunciation even by Anna Friel.

17. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Although in Pushing Daisies it's hard to tell because everybody speaks in a pretty mannered, stylized way.

18. FilmCritic3000

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    +1.

Alot of the dialogue is staccato and its delivery is impeccable, thanks to the immensely talented cast.

19. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Anna Friel is British too? Wow, I never would have guessed. What's up with all the Hollywood outsourcing? Are these people in the country legally? DEY TERK YER JERBS!!!! :D

As for the bionic woman... I was just watching the latest ep and specifically listening for it. The only thing I caught was when she said "proprietary". She ended it with "tree" instead of "tayree", but even then it was still an American accent, just with British pronunciation.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yes, her accent is flawless, she just over-enunciates a bit in the way that foreigners with flawless accents often do (Indian people are often especially noticeable). It's kind of hard to explain (and Ryan is far from the worst offender, most of the time), but once you notice it, it's a lot easier to pick up on.

And one problem that I think people with really reserved acting styles, like Ryan and Myles, is that the effort of maintaining the accent reduces them from restrained to bland. I've seen both women give much more natural, subtle performances in English shows where they can concentrate all their effort on acting and not just talking (and again, Ryan is better than Myles, who is really bad in American but quite good in English).