Monthly service cost for used Series 3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by kbohip, Apr 16, 2011.

1. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    I've looked all over the place and can't seem to find an answer to this easy question. If I buy a used Series 3 off of Ebay, how much will my monthly service charge be? $12.95? $16.95? $19.95? These are some of the answers I've seen to this question but it always varies. I'm getting rid of satellite programming and want to keep my costs as low as possible.

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    It depends. First of all, if the used unit has a lifetime subscription, then there are no monthly fees, at all. That's why used TiVos with lifetime subs sell for more. Secondly, if you already own a TiVo, or you buy multiple TiVos, you probably qualify for a Multi-Service Discount. Finally, there is more than one plan out there. I don't know the details of all of them, and they change from time to time, but it is likely you can sign up for a 1 year or 3 year term, paid monthly, that is cheaper than month-month. The version of the hardware also makes a difference. For example, I think the $19.95 a month plan is only for people who buy a Premier for $99.

3. rayik

rayik New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    I just bought a used S3 off ebay and subscribed it in the last month.

If you have a Tivo account with an active Tivo (either monthly fee or PLS that you actually paid for yourself), the price is $9.95 / month or $300 PLS.

If you don't have a Tivo account with an active Tivo on it (or have a PLS that someone else paid the fee for, i.e. transferred unit), it is $12.95 / month or $400 PLS.

Tivo also charges state sales tax on PLS.

4. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    Ok, that's what I thought it would be. I currently do not have a Tivo now, not counting the HR10-250 from Directv. Now if I add another Series 3, for a total of two, will I pay $6.95 or $9.95 a month for the second unit? Thanks in advance btw.:up:

5. rayik

rayik New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Since I already had a Tivo activated on the account, the only options I was given for the used S3 was $9.95 / month or $300 PLS.

You will probably be offered $12.95 / month for the first Tivo and $9.95 / month (or $99 / year) for the 2nd Tivo.

I believe the $6.95 MSD rate is no longer offered.

6. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    Ok, this is what I was thinking it would be.:)

7. stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    I just called last night threatening to cancel. I may go to Verizon Home Media DVR.

Tivo told me $9.95/month was the multi service discount.

Interesting tidbit. They said that if I purchase a Premier for $99.99 then I only have to pay the $19.99/month for 1 year. After that, I can call back and move to a multi service discount at $9.99 per month.

Not the best deal becuase I'd be paying $120 more in fees over the year, as opposed to $100 up front, but if you are looking to defray the cost as much as possible, it's a pretty good idea.

8. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Make them give you that in writing, 'cause around here there's a lot of speculation that the monthly for the $99.99 units is going to be $19.95 permanently, because, up until now, TiVo hasn't said anything about what it's going to be when the year is up.

9. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Sure they have, if you read through all of the TiVo Service agreement it is clear it will stay at $19.99/mo and be on a monthly contract.

What is less clear is what happens if after the year someone cancels the service and then service is put back on it again. The way it is written now it sounds like the unit would then qualify for the normal service costs ($12.95/mo.) and would also qualify for MSD if you had a qualifying TiVo.

So one can assume if you call TiVo and say you want to cancel they will try to retain you by offering the lower cost service. If not you would just cancel and then put service back on it and get the lower rates anyway.

So yes right now it is a crap shoot, but I think people who try will get out of the $19.99/mo service costs after their year contract.

Thanks,

10. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I still say, if that's part of your calculation of whether to buy or not, get that offer in writing.

11. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I think we all know that is never going to happen. The $12.95/mo rates could be gone a year from now and everyone could be paying $19.99/mo. or something else completely.

The only way to get a guaranteed price past 1 year is to buy lifetime service.

Thanks,

12. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    We should know in November 2011 when the first 1 year subscriptions start to expire.

13. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Actually, no. From the TiVo Payment Plans:
    Jumping over to the TiVo Service Agreement:

14. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    In other words, there's no way to be sure what's going to happen at the end of your subscription year, so if they tell you now that they'll let you switch to an MSD of $9.99 a month at that time, Get It In Writing.

15. Jim5506

Jim5506 Member

Oct 2, 2004
    Lubbock Texas
    The lifetime sub is really a good deal, it pays for itself in 15 months if you only have one TiVo and in 30 months if you have more than one.

I have an S2 with lifetime, an HDTiVo with lifetime and a grandfathered S2 that I pay $6.95/month for.

16. MighTyVo

MighTyVo New Member

Oct 21, 2005
    Your math may vary depending on what TiVo offers you for lifetime and monthly subscriptions. I've been burned by TiVo because the lifetime service only applies to the specific unit you have and THERE IS NO AUTHORIZED REPAIR SERVICE for a TiVo unit. So when your TiVo dies (my Series 3 TiVos had an average life of 9 months!!!), your only authorized option is to exchange it for a refurbished unit, giving TiVo the option to charge you $200 for transferring your service to a new unit.

You also may be paying a much higher price for the unit itself in order to get the option to buy lifetime service. So beware the hidden costs.

17. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I think I am going to claim to have ESP - it just didn't take a year for the $12.95 rate to go away. :D

And I will state again:
    The only way to get a guaranteed price past 1 year is to buy lifetime service. ​

Thanks,