Monthly fee

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by msaeger, Jul 19, 2011.

1. msaeger

msaeger New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I have an old series 2 and am paying 12.99 a month. Can I buy and continue paying 12.99?

2. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    If only it was that simple. There are several threads around here that are several pages long where people are trying to figure out the price of Tivo. My suggestion would be to go see an economics professor at your local university. Maybe he has it figured out.

3. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    No, because TiVo decided to reduce the hardware price in exchange for a higher subscription price.

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Can you buy what? A Premiere? A used Series 3? Are you going to keep the Series 2 or replace it?

1. If you replace the Series 2 with a used Series 3 you can retain the $12.99/mo.
    2. If you add a used Series 3 it will cost $9.99/mo.
    3. If you replace the Series 2 with a Premiere, the Premeire will cost $19.99/mo.
    4. If you add a Premiere, the Premiere will cost $14.99/mo.
    You can also buy lifetime service for a Premiere, if you do it before you cancel the service on your Series 2 it will cost $399.

The above assumes you have no other TiVos. Series 3 means: the original Series 3 HD, TiVo HD, & TiVo HD XL models.

Good Luck,

5. msaeger

msaeger New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    The ads say 19.99 for 12 months so I was thinking the price would drop after a year or it would be less if I paid more for the tivo or got a used one.

So no matter how I buy a premier the monthly chargecharge is 20 bucks a month forever?

6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That is with a 1 yr commitment, after that, you have the option for the lifetime subscription. There is a discount called MSD, that is only for every 2nd to 6th Tivo on your account. The first is always at full rate.

7. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I think the ads say 19.99, with a 12-month commitment required. I don't think there's any statement that the rate drops after a year.

8. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Sorry, under the current terms the price does not drop after the first year.

If you want to pay monthly a Premiere is $19.99/mo, unless you qualify for a multi service discount (MSD) then it would be $14.99/mo. You can also choose to pay for lifetime service up front $399 if you still have your Series 2 subbed or $499 if you don't.

Of course the prices can change but I don't think they are likely to go down.

Good Luck,

9. msaeger

msaeger New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Definitively not buying one of those then 20 a month is too high.

I'll will have to get another series 2 off craigslist or fix this one I guess.

Thanks for the info.

10. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Or a Series 3, HD, HD XL.... (older models before the Premiere came out) These record in digital, HD, analog, Only for antenna and/or cable no satellite. No cable box, just uses cable cards for digital cable access.

Adding these is only another 9.95 month/$99 yr under MSD

Amazon.com still sells them.

11. msaeger

msaeger New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Does the series three work with multi channel cards or do I need two single channel ones? I am just thinking mediacom would charge me a lot for two cards. I will check with them and see I guess.

Thanks for the info.

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG]
    S3 must use 2 cable cards, no matter the type. Cable cards go in the rear.

[​IMG]
    HD and HD XL uses 1 multi or 2 single-stream cards, either will record 2 channels at once and watch a recording at same time. The cards go in behind the door in the front, just below the silver frame.

(clicking images will take you to amazon.com)

13. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Post #13 and we still don't know what a Tivo costs.

14. msaeger

msaeger New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Thanks for the info guys. I called Mediacom and they told me a multi stream card is only 2 bucks a month. I think they are charging me 10 something now for the cable box. So I ordered a TCD652160 like ThAbtO linked but I got one off Ebay for 75 dollars. They claim it's new and the guy has more than 10 available so I am guessing they really are new.

So this should work out good if everything goes like I am expecting.

I am glad I asked here before just buying a premier.

15. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I don't really understand why you post stuff like this. What service costs is really very easy to understand and I posted it in my first post.

The problem is when someone doesn't like the cost and tries to find away to pay less.

16. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    As for fixing it, what's the model number and what's wrong with it?

As for finding another on Craigslist, plug

site:craigslist.org tivo

into Google and use the search tools on the left to sort by date.

You might find someone close enough to make the drive worth it that's selling cheap or giving away a dual tuner S2.

17. msaeger

msaeger New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I have a 40 hour series 2 I think it's TCD540040.

After a power outage it now stops at Welcome powering up. I am guessing the hard drive finally died the things like six years old so that's a long time for a hard drive.

I looked on Craigslist and found some cheap but after finding out the cable card is only two bucks a month and the Tivo service price will stay the same I figured I would just get the newer model.

When I look at the Tivo site it says I activated this one in 2001 :) Not sure what one I had then. So far I have had one of the series one Phillips ones, a 60 gig series two and the 40 gig series two. This last one has lasted the longest.

18. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    You can try ebay as well. Also, if you look for 1 with Lifetime, you would not need to pay for its sub. But, beware that sometimes they posted the tivo has lifetime and when you received it, the sub is no longer on it. They may have transferred to another tivo prior to selling it. If you can obtain the service number, then call Tivo CS (877-367-8486) and confirm its sub.

19. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    That 2001 activation was most likely for the Philips Series 1, the S2s didn't come along until a couple of years later, and that particular S2 a couple of years after that.