Monthly cost to add a Premeire to a monthly Tivo HD account?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kbohip, May 7, 2011.

1. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    I recently dropped Directv and went OTA only. I bought a Tivo HD off Ebay and signed up for the stupid Tivo forced $12.95 a month for a year contract. If I were to add a Premiere to my account, what would the total monthly cost be for me? I'm thinking it would be $12.95 + $9.95 for the Premiere for a total monthly cost of $22.90.:confused:

PS, I really wish Tivo didn't hide this simple info on their website.:thumbsdown:

2. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you purchased a TP in the $99 range your payments will be $19.99/month, As you already have a TiVo-HD you may be able to purchase, directly from TiVo, a TP with Lifetime Service for $470 or so.

3. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    Wait, $20 a month? For the second Tivo?! That would mean $33.00 a month for two Tivos which is just insane. After delving deep into Tivo's website, I came across a wall of text with the MSD price hidden in it. According to them if you have a standard $12.95 a month plan, you can add another Tivo for $9.95 a month.

I'm thinking you might be right in that if I were to buy the Premiere direct from Tivo brand new they'd still want $20 a month. They do have refurb Premiere's though that if I understand correctly are eligible for the $13 a month plan and presumably the MSD rate at $10 a month then too.

Maybe I should just pickup another new Tivo HD from Ebay for $65. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the HD and the Premiere anyway from what I can tell, other than the larger drive in the Premiere.

4. robm15

robm15 New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    What lessd meant was that if you pick up a Premiere for the discounted price of $99, you would pay $19.99 a month. If on the other hand you pickup a Premiere at full price, which I think is $249, then yes you could get the MSD.

5. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I checked, and even a refurb isn't eligible for Multi discount. ONLY way to get the discount is to buy a Premiere for full price directly from Tivo for $300.

6. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    You could buy one used. If you can prove that the original purchase date was prior to November 2010 OR if the Premiere was activated on a $12.95/month plan, TiVo will let you activate it for $9.99 a month.

7. kbohip

kbohip New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Colorado...
    Thanks for the help guys. Yea, there's NO way I'd spend $33.00 a month for Tivo service! $23 is bad enough. I'll probably just go with another HD or Series 3 from Ebay or Craigslist so I can get the MSD.

8. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I would check your account on TiVo.com regularly to see if you are offered upgrade offers. I may take a month or 2 but eventually you will likely have an upgrade offer because you have a TiVo HD. If you get the upgrade offers you should be able to buy a new Premiere for $199 and get monthly service for $9.95.

Good Luck,