Monthly CableCARD Costs - Cable Billing

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by PAClaxton, Nov 9, 2007.

1. Nov 9, 2007 #1 of 20
    PAClaxton

PAClaxton TiVo Since 2001

Feb 8, 2002
    Near...

Advertisements

I have been a long time Tivo user and last December purchased a Series 3 under the lifetime transfer offe; I retired my Sony Series 1.

Since I received the Series 3, I have been very confused as to the cableCARD fees and related costs that I am being charged. I have followed the Official CableCARD threads, but they tend to be about installation and technology issues. My concerns are about cable company pricing and the FCC mandates.

If everyone would post what cable company the use, including the city and state, and the fees they are charged related to cableCARDs, I think it would be easier for Tivo users to understand if their cableCARD charges/fees are fair. I'll go first...

I use Comcast out of Delray Beach, Florida. (I have the Bronze Advantage Pak that includes one cable card, digital basic, and high speed internet.)

Previously to this month they charged me:

1. $2.00 for each additional cable card.
    2. Plus $9.50 as an additional outlet on the second cableCARD in my Series 3. (I have 2 S-CARDs in my Series 3.)

Total additional cost per card was $11.50.

I called and complained, and now they have changed to the following pricing:

1. No charge for any cableCARD... they don't rent them anymore, the rep told me.
    2. Plus $6.50 for each additional cable card that activates digital service. (It doesn't matter that the additional card is in a single outlet.)

Total additional cost per card is now $6.50.

The new pricing, (and the old pricing for that matter), does not agree with the FAQs on the Comcast website. That is one reason why I decided to start this thread.

Please share your CableCARD monthly prices/fees.

Phil

2. Nov 9, 2007 #2 of 20
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Comcast Houston

First cablecard is free
    Each additional (no limit) is $2/month. This was increased on Oct 1 (was $1.75/month).

3. Nov 9, 2007 #3 of 20
    jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Comcast Pittsburgh

First card free
    Second card for same device $1.50

No charge for additional A/O

Had to argue for awhile to get this.

4. Nov 9, 2007 #4 of 20
    Canoehead

Canoehead TiVo since 2004

Sep 12, 2006
    CT
    Comcast in Hudson County, NJ. The first card is "free" in that my cable package includes 1 digital outlet. The second card is $13, because they are charging me for a 2nd full-on digital outlet, even though the cards are in the same frakking machine. This weekend I am replacing my moto box in the bedroom with a Tivo HD, but am only going to have one cable card installed - do not want to pay ANOTHER $13 per month. I have been fighting with their billing department for about a year with nothing to show but elavated blood pressure.

They claim that they have no way to bill the cards per se, so they just treat each one like a digital tuner box and charge full freight. I have faxed them pages on CableCards from the Comcast website - they pointed out the small print at the bottom that says that those pages do not apply to all regions.

I k*cking hate Comcast - except for the installer who actually did the installs, who was a great guy - and clearly a gadget junkie. All the CSRs remind me of the DMV women in Domino IYKWIMAITHYD

5. Nov 9, 2007 #5 of 20
    CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...

Advertisements

Send or phone your experiences to the national Comcast headquarters in Philadelphia (the big Comcast thread might have phone numbers or addresses). I'm sure the local franchises are not allowed to get away with the high prices in this thread - nationally Comcast wants to be able to say that they don't charge foreign DVRs more than their own. People have been able to go through Philadelphia and get their local policy on cablecards changed.

6. Nov 9, 2007 #6 of 20
    bizzy

bizzy New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    San...
    this really is provider-specific, and this has all been done to death in the provider-specific cablecard threads; so why are we re-hashing this again here!?

7. Nov 9, 2007 #7 of 20
    PAClaxton

Feb 8, 2002
    Near...
    The provider-specific thread is primarily about cable company cableCARD installs and hardware problems. This thread is only about monthly cableCARD pricing so that members can easily compare what is being charged and better understand if their cable company is charging them unfairly and/or perhaps not abiding by the FCC mandate.

Also, this is not specific to any cable company.

Please post the cableCARD monthly rates you are charged by your cable company, good and bad.

Thanks,
    Phil

8. Nov 9, 2007 #8 of 20
    Chris8204

Chris8204 New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Comcast Baltimore area

They tried to charge me 4.95 per cable card but because they didn't have any working M-stream cards I talked them into only charging me for one card so I am getting both cable cards for 4.95 a month. Usually they charge 9.90 which seems to be on the high side.

9. Nov 9, 2007 #9 of 20
    steve101

steve101 Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Virginia, USA
    Verizon Fios Northern Virginia
    2.99 per card - Single Stream
    The Multi-Stream will be the same price if and when my
    local office ever gets them.

10. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Charter in San Luis Obispo, CA
    $1.50 per card

11. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Member

Oct 12, 2007
    Redmond, WA
    Comcast Redmond WA (suburb of Seattle)

First card for any device is free (no additional outlet fee). Additional cards for the same device are $1.79.

In my case, I have an S3 and a THD. The S3 takes two S-cards, so the first card is free, while the second is $1.79. The THD takes a single M-card, which is free. There are no additional outlet fees (though my understanding is that sometimes an additional outlet fee will show up on your bill and you have to fight to get it removed).

12. kido

kido New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Comcast Chicago, IL
    2 cablecards for a S3 billed as T3ddvrcards for $1.50 per month

Initially, I was being charged an additional outlet, but calling to complain eventually lead them to find the above code for proper billing.

If people could also post their line items found on their cable bills for cablecards, that might help as well.

13. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Why do people feel that the cable company shouldn't charge an "additional outlet fee" for a second TiVo? Do they not charge that for a second Comcast box or DVR? Why should a second TiVo be any different?

I agree that it's unreasonable to charge an additional outlet fee for a second CC in the same TiVo box.

14. PAClaxton

Feb 8, 2002
    Near...
    I haven't seen anyone complaining about an additional outlet fee on a second Tivo box in this thread. I have been charged for an additional outlet when I only have one Tivo that is getting digital service.

And to make matters worse, they do not charge their own DVRs as much as I pay. My Comcast charges a bundled fee of $11.95/mo. for their DVR and HD service. I pay $6.95 for HD service and $6.50 for my second cableCARD in my Series 3, for a total of $13.45. It would cost me $1.50 less a month if I had selected Comcasts DVR, and I wouldn't have had to buy my own equipment.

Phil

15. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Charter Burbank-Glendale, CA

First CableCard is free with Digital Tier
    Add'l CC's are $1.50/month per card

No "additional outlet" fees, but then again all my digital viewing is through the living room TV only. Bedroom TV's are still analog cable.

Compared to my last full month of using an SA8300 HD, I'm saving over $15/month.

16. djkid4

djkid4 New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Charlotte,NC
    Time Warner charges me 2$ per card and like 5$ for the guide, which of course I do not need. They won't take the guide charge off. Is there anything I can do about this?

17. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Well-Known Member

May 13, 2004
    My Comcast bill just came and there were 2 additional almost $10 charges on it that were not there before adding my 2nd cable card.

One was an almost $10 charge for an HD technology fee and the other almost $10 charge was for HD Digital Starter.

I called them, was put on hold so they could speak to a supervisor, then they removed both charges. It only took a couple minutes but seems every time I try to add or change something with cable cards my account gets messed up.

18. bobrt6676

bobrt6676 Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Huber...
    I have TW in Dayton, Ohio. They charge $2 for CC's. No additional charges besides programming. It is interesting how they can charge you for a service you don't receive. Be persistent until they take the charge off. Check with others in the forum. I doubt if many get this additional charge.

19. robnnorl

robnnorl New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Well I have Comcast in Orlando. I have 2 cablecards and they give me $2.50 credit for each one. I have digital preferred with them.

20. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Insight in Louisville, KY is $2 per CC period. No "digital outlet" fees, which are ridiculously stupid.