Monster Quest: What happened to the History Channel?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Dec 26, 2007.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

I don't know what's worse, the fact that the History Channel broadcasts Monster Quest or that I've watched 3 or 4 of the episodes. What happened to the History Channel? I know that they can't live off of Hitler and WWII forever, but Monster Quest? I loves me some cosmology but does The Universe belong on the History channel? Human Weapon?

2. Dmon4u

Dmon4u Unresponsive User

Jul 15, 2000
    PA
    They always imply that they/themselves (with a little extra help) may find evidence for the existance of each and every creature they are looking for - at the start of every episode.

Yeah, Right !

That's their idea of suspense and tension ? For a whole hour ?

Perhaps if they stuck to the History of these creatures, instead of searching for them, they'd have a better show.

3. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    I was thinking the same thing. Except I have found myself watching Monsterquest too. My son digs them. So far I've seen Bigfoot, Backyard Lions, and Deadly Fish. It's a somewhat interesting show (I love the camera traps, even if all they ever catch is Elk), but it is an odd fit for The History Channel. They have some other kind of offbeat stuff now too. Something like "Gangland" about gangs and such. Perhaps they are trying to bring in some new eyeballs during the strike?

4. mitchb2

mitchb2 New Member

Sep 30, 2000
    I like the show, but I agree it should be on Discovery, or National Geographic.
    Anything but History.

5. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA

Advertisements

They have a similar show on SciFi and it was pretty good, mainly because the fellows doing the show had a sense of adventure and a great sense of humor.

I set my tivo for the show on rods and the one about Stalin supposidly crossing humans and apes. (I went to grade school in the 50's and we heard all kinds of interesting nonsense such as the ape/human cross breed experiments and that Russian kids were all sent to dorms and didn't live with their parents. I figure both stories are equally valid.)

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Personally, I don't care what's on any given channel. If I'm interested, I watch it. If I'm not interested, I don't watch it. Blurring the focus of a channel is simply what's done to get ratings and in the end, ratings is what it's all about.

alongside Cash Cab and Joel Osteen?

7. Jan 1, 2008 #7 of 17
    smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well Gangland is actually about a history of the various gangs they are profiling. The Universe is at least detailing the history of the universe.

I'd say they are at least 90% straight history which is their bread and butter compared to some channels. Monsterquest is stretching it I agree but so again is Ice Road Truckers.

But Ice Road Truckers rules.

8. Jan 1, 2008 #8 of 17
    emandbri

emandbri TV junkie!

Jul 5, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Wow, there is a lot of history out there to work with, I wouldn't think they would run out of subjects for shows!

9. Jan 1, 2008 #9 of 17
    TheSlyBear

TheSlyBear Opinionated Walrus

Dec 26, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Do any of the cable channels still stick to their original intended formats? SciFi is showing wrestling. The Learning Channel has become the Fashion Channel. FoodTV has become Anything-but-cooking TV. HGTV has become Watch-Idiots-Try-To-Flip-a-House TV. And Court TV has become Reality-but-we'll-call-it-Actuality TV.

At least The Weather Channel still reports the weather (if not all that accurately).

They'll play whatever they think will bring in viewers, and therefore sponsors.

10. ggalindo

ggalindo New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    I've noticed over the last year that the History Channel has quickly turned into the doom and gloom channel.

The History Channel for years was one of my favorite channels, and although there was a preponderance of WW2 programming (which I do enjoy), I thought there was still a lot of variety to be very well rounded.

Of late, it seems that there is an increasing emphasis on doomsday, fantasy, or other fringe topics. IMO, Ice Road Truckers was a solid program, and appeared to be well received, but I really cannot see watching any of these other programs, even if they are well done. Something about them being on the History channel is just very wrong.

At some time, they were trying to launch a "Military History Channel", but I guess it isn't going to get picked up, at least by DirecTV or the cable boys in my locale.

If I had my way (which I know I don't)...I would like to see a greater mix of older documentaries weaved into these newer programs.

11. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Might be time to merge some of these single-major channels. :)

12. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Without new episodes on my usual shows, I've actually been watching a bunch of history documentaries, especially on History Channel International. If you're tired of WW2, come on over and find out all about the Antiquity ;)

13. speedy4022

speedy4022 New Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Idaho
    I like monster quest I agree the history channel is the wrong place for it. This is a show that I discovered because of network reruns.

14. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    No they don't. After a few years, they all start showing the same stuff. I bet The History Channel will somehow justify showing "Just one of the guys" any day now.

15. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I remember when the History channel first started out that they were striving to not be the "All Hitler, all the time" channel. They have done some really great things with American history and European history even a show or two on China etc.

16. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    Speaking of American History, they've just started up again with reruns for The Revolution, a 13 episode series about the American Revolution.

Ignore what the linked site says about their not being any new episodes scheduled, episode 1 aired just yesterday.

17. smak

smak TV MA SLV

Feb 11, 2000
    NoHo, CA USA
    At least Court TV acknowledges it since they changed their name yesterday to Tru TV.

I am enjoying The Universe on History, and it doesn't really belong there either.

-smak-