Monk - Natalie's car(s) - or product placement badly done.

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Sherminator, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN

Advertisements

If a recurring theme on Monk, is that he underpays Natalie, why do we see her driving a different car almost every episode?

It must be product placement, as in "Monk & The Bully" we see her driving a Hyundai Genesis, where in the previous episode, I believe that she was driving a Nissan Maxima. When this episode cut to commercials, we (those who didn't skip quick enough) were greeted with "Monk is sponsored by the Hyundai Genesis, America's car of the year".

2. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    At least the Genesis is a nice ride. It's being used on several shows this year. I don't recall seeing a maxima but she drove a Volvo for a couple years.

3. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    She drove a Jeep for a while too, IIRC.

4. anom

anom Enlightened

Apr 18, 2005
    It's not cheap, though, and it's not like she could have bought one used. It kind of undermines the idea that she's barely scratching out a living.

5. verdugan

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA

Advertisements

Well, her family is loaded. She could be getting some help from them.

6. tgewin

tgewin New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    She's also driven an Audi A3 at least one episode in the past two seasons. I thought she'd had it for several episodes, actually.

7. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Maybe she bought the Hyundai with their new "if you lose your income we'll take it back" feature :)

Seriously my guess is that it is product placement. Nathan Ford (Tim Hutton) drives a Genesis on Leverage (or started to in the 2nd or 3rd episode -- I'm guessing that is when the placement deal went through)

8. Tangent

Tangent Aluminum Falcon?!

Feb 25, 2005
    San Jacinto, CA
    I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed by this. Considering how Monk's cheapness is a recurring theme, I'd expect her to drive some older car not a brand new one. Going through at least 4 new ones in the span of a few months is just a bit much...

9. dilbert27

dilbert27 New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Well we do know how Monk is about Cleanliness so maybe she has to get a new car each month to keep him from freaking out! :D

10. verdugan

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    At the end of the Pilot, Nathan bought a Tesla car. It hasn't made an appearance since.

11. ruexp67

ruexp67 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    There was a genesis on 24 this week too. It pulled up to the curb, making a perfectly framed shot that could have been in a magazine. Then they go to the rear, and pan OFF the actors to the rear badge on the car.

Hyndai is paying for a LOT of product placement. A LOT!

12. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    It's a hot car. If I were in the market, I'd seriously consider one.

13. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Agreed, had it been out last year when I bought the CTS, I would have looked at it pretty hard. A lot of car for the money.

14. verdugan

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    It was on Leverage this week too.

15. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It's a jungle out there.

16. lambertman

lambertman Chris Lambert, man

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    As mentioned in the post you quoted in your previous post.

17. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I've noticed they've been doing alot of product placement of the McFlurry on NBC. They prominently featured it on 30 Rock last week, and I recall them mentioning it on an SNL skit.

18. verdugan

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Not a smeek b/c in this episode it was being driven by Haridson, not Nathan Ford. :D

They actually didn't focus at all on what Nathan was driving this week.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm not sure if I believe it, but there have been multiple articles, even quoting Tina Fey, who have said that WASN'T product placement.. at least not directly (the latest article, mentioned in the 30 rock thread, does say they ran the episode by McD's... but not that they got paid for it).

20. pigonthewing

pigonthewing (& theinstigator)

May 6, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I thought the Hyundai was waaaay too obviously an ad placement in Leverage. The shot of the steering wheel controls, the center console controls, the audio player's display... dialog took a back seat to beauty shots.