Monk 8/3 - "Mr Monk and the Bad Girlfriend"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MitchO, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Aug 5, 2007 #1 of 17
    MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ

Advertisements

No one?

Personally, I think it's a shame. It seemed like the couple looking at the house was setting her up: "I work in the makeup industry"? They seem to have a thing for beating down on Stottlemyre that I don't understand; why did he need to even get divorced in the first place, and now this? I guess the implication is that she had been planning this so far back that she as with Leland just as part of the plan the entire time, but I just think it seemed like a sad ending for the character.

Character wise, I think they did a good job with the Stottlemyre/Monk relationship and Leland's irrational actions. I don't know if I really buy him being that mean to Monk, his comments about Trudy, but you could feel the uncomfortableness of two long time friends dealing with it.

Case wise, I had the webcam solved fairly easily, and her fixing the pen was too blatant to not notice. How does she plan all that and be careless with the flower in her hair?

2. Aug 5, 2007 #2 of 17
    BrandonRe

BrandonRe Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wasn't paying much attention at first, and didn't catch the pen. I figured she had used some sort of green screen set-up.

3. Aug 5, 2007 #3 of 17
    MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    Even without the pen, Natalie commented on the curtains, which drew attention to the fact that they were looking at what they thought was a familiar room. It seemed evident to me that she wasn't in her real bedroom.

4. Aug 5, 2007 #4 of 17
    smallwonder

smallwonder Age quod agis

Jun 13, 2001
    MD, USA
    I'm with BrandonRe, I wasn't paying attention at the start but I figured something was up since it was clear that they were ready to dump Sharon Lawrence's character.

Too bad, since like you say, it would've been nice if the Captain didn't keep getting dumped on. Apparently the writers/producers think having Monk and Stottlemeyer romantically destroyed is interesting to us, the viewers. And with Natalie and Disher with no love lives to speak of, we can all just concentrate on the fairly thin mysteries/who-dun-its, which as I say I wasn't.

This show used to SP-worthy but now I catch it if I'm surfing but don't bother to record anymore.

5. Aug 5, 2007 #5 of 17
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...

Advertisements

I was sad because I had it figured out when Monk saw the picture of the grandfather with the gun. I didn't catch the pen, or the curtains, but did wonder about the 'time ' thing.

Why can't Leland have a nice relationship? I almost cried when he said "I'm 51, she's my last chance' or something like that.

And when she came on to Monk in the bedroom, I knew that was going to foul her up and give herself away to the Captain.

The only real chuckle I got was when the Captain was interrogating the one suspect and tear the cup up and messing with the blinds and smearing the glass. Pretty funny, but still sad.

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 17
    Hot4Bo

Hot4Bo Finally an Avatar! TCF Club

Apr 3, 2003
    South Florida
    My first impression was that this was an unfortunate title for the program. I knew what would happen before the show started.

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 17
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Ageism at it's best :D
    I'm older than that and don't feel that way at all.

Plotwise I don't think it was one of the better episodes- a little contrived for me, but then all of the Stottlemeyer vs. love interest do for some reason. Why they need to drag personal lives into things at all is a mystery, unless they have run out of ideas otherwise.
    I will always watch Monk- it is still a SP and will remain so because I enjoy TS so much. But they need new writers.

8. Aug 6, 2007 #8 of 17
    betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    +1

9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 17
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I liked the scene in the interrogation room quite a bit. I thought the actors did a great job with the comedic timing there.

10. catcard

catcard MoxiDVR

Mar 2, 2001
    Honey...
    I agree with those who were disappointed that the Captain just can't have a happy relationship.

I love the Monk show!

11. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    There was a critical moment that Stottlemeyer suddenly believed Monk. He was convinced that Monk was completely wrong UNTIL she said that Monk either tried to or did touch her, and then blackmailed her into sex. The look on his face when she said that was so well done. He deserves a supporting role award for that scene, and the interrogation room scene too. He looked at her and said, "Monk tried to touch you?" She nodded yes, and he KNEW she was guilty.

Even if they wanted to write her out of the show, or if she wanted to leave, why did they have to romantically destroy Stottlemeyer in the process? It was cruel and unnecessary. The last scene was cruel too, talking Randy with him.

The interrogation room scene was great, as was the interplay when Randy suggested that Natalie loved him. The look she gave him, and her bringing it up again and again was classic, and had my wife and I both chuckling. The one really brief action on Natalie's part when she was looking at the apartment, and she saw one of the light fixtures was not matching and had to touch it was almost a little Monk-like. Monk moving the flowers, then placing them back, then wanting desperately to "fix" them again was also well done. I could almost feel his compulsion.

Natalie is a biker!

12. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Really....what was with that? Unless they thought it might be a re-direct.

13. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I knew it was her from the start, but of course I don't catch the clues and had no idea about the moving truck/duplicate bedroom.

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm surprised so many people are complaining about this episode. For me, it's probably my favorite since "Mr. Monk and the Three Pies". But then I guess I like my comedy tragic.

15. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Oh, I liked the episode....any Monk is better than a lot of the dren on the tube these days.

16. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    As soon as they showed the moving van being towed away, I knew how she did it. Actually, if I hadn't seen the show title (Mr. Monk & the Bad Girlfriend), I might have been fooled into thinking it was someone else until she came onto Monk, or a little before that.

I LOVED the interaction between Monk and Stottlemeyer in this ep... True friends being at odds... and Leland being perhaps Monk's only real friend (there's Natalie too, but that's a different kind of relationship). Agreed that moment when Stottlemeyer put it all together was classic. Not a world but the look on his face was PERFECT.

Nice job, Monk producers! :D

17. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    This episode wasn't so much about the mystery as it was about Monk and Stottlemeyer's relationship being at odds over Monk's accusations, so I thought "Mr. Monk and the Bad Girlfriend" was a perfectly appropriate title. (I know there have been "red herring" titles in the past, so it's not like I was thinking "yep, Sharon Lawrence did it" in the early stages of this episode due to that title.)

Sure, Stottlemeyer's luck with women hasn't been particularly good, but what about Disher? Granted, Disher brings a lot of that upon himself. :D