Monk 8-17 The Buried Treasure

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Church AV Guy, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    This was a very enjoyable episode and I'm surprised that there isn't a thread yet. A few thoughts:

The teens hitting on Natalie... my wife said she would have, um, HURT them badly. She doesn't have the patience of Natalie. It was childishly humorous, as was the fighting.

I expect Randy and the "big drinks" was just another one-time plot device, even though he said over and over that the free refills were a lifetime thing.

How is it that so many people know Kroger's son?

Why is it that seventeen year old teenagers look about 25 in these shows?

Kroger's son told Monk that his father lied to the insurance company about a valuable (rare) coin collection. I wonder if that will ever come up again? Monk looked really surprised and said, "He did?" like it might be used sometime in the future.

"I think Treasure Island was written by a pirate," and "You're not forty-seven years old, you're in my homeroom!" were amusing lines. Maybe not original, but I thought it was entertaining.

2. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    "We're gonna play 20 questions, Mr. Monk. You can think of anything: animal, vegetable, or mineral"
    "Mineral....it's a mineral"
    "Is it gravel?"
    "Yes it's gravel!"

LOL My favorite part :)

3. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I thought monk was going to infer from the coin collection thing that his dad bought a new watch using insurance money.

Was that drink a realistic size? I don't recall ever having a drink that large. When full he'd have to have some massive forearms to lug it around like that.

4. PeteEMT

PeteEMT NF2 Guy

Jul 24, 2003
    Unadilla, NY
    They use a similar Drink on NCIS for Abby's caff-pows. My girlfriend is an NCIS junkie and she thinks its the same prop.

5. catcard

catcard MoxiDVR

Mar 2, 2001
    Honey...
    I guess Monk will have a new respect for heavy metal music!

6. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    As they were in the middle of nowhere trying to locate the "BBQ," the train that went by was a Los Angeles-area Metrolink commuter train. (Their routes do go through a couple of spots that seem to be in the middle of nowhere -- but nowhere near San Francisco. :D )

And re the suggestion that the "44" on the map couldn't possibly be a highway number: only truth about highway numbering is that Federally numbered highways with one or two digits have a north-south route if the number is odd, and an east-west route if the number is even. There are certainly many examples of portions of a route having the "wrong" orientation; one of the best is U.S. 101 in southern California, which runs east-west for many miles. (Because of the way U.S. highways are numbered, it counts as a 2-digit highway.)

That rule absolutely doesn't apply to state and county highways in most states. Most states don't have any sort of pattern for their internal highway numbering. (State highway 44 in California does happen to run east-west, in the northern part of the state between Redding and Susanville, but it's not too far from state highway 36, which runs north-south, starting in Chico.)

7. full_heart

full_heart Member

May 12, 2005
    Oklahoma

I believe it was last season when the cleaning lady was killed in Krogers office, the police were staying around the clock at Krogers house. And this is how Mr Monk and all the rest met Krogers son.

8. kmccbf

kmccbf New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    There are a few convenience stores around here that have that size drink and larger.

9. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    I prefer to refer to anything bigger than 44oz as a bucket or trough.

Kinda wish they would do something interesting with Randy that would actually carry over to subsequent episodes.

10. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Hell, in that blouse and skirt any man with a hormone would hit on her. Damn, she looked really fine.

Excellent episode as usual.

11. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    +1 on both counts. She has gotten even hotter as she has gotten older.

12. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    That's a good point. I had forgotten about that episode. I think you are correct.

13. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I was chuckling because obviously neither Krogers Son nor Monk ever watched the tv show Bones. They had a similiar (though more dramatic) buried alive episode. Bones was buried in a car with a co worker (cute young rich guy) and they used brains to think of more ways to get air - pop the spare, open up the backseat to the trunk etc.

There were some great lines and overall it was a good episode.

But Monk has been buried alive before. No loud music the last time, just a nice talk with Trudy.

14. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Woman peak at Middle age..... IMDB says she is 41 but she sure doesn't look it.

15. pkscout

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    And she's Australian, so he's hot and has a hot accent in real life. :D

16. khark

khark Old Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Star Valley...
    I thought it was strange that they didn't honk the horn.

17. IJustLikeTivo

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Uhh, she was born in Orlando, FL.

18. pkscout

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
  19. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Exactly what I was thinking.

20. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    I've actually been pleased his interest in music (and even his specific song!) have come back a few times.