Monk 7/20/2007 **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pkscout, Jul 21, 2007.

1. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI

Advertisements

OK, I'll go ahead and start this one too and then go to bed.

The intro music was just stupid. I don't normally listen, so I hope they changed it because of the rap theme for the show. The episode was fine, but boy did they beat you over the head with the watch thing. I figured this one out fairly quickly.

2. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    I think they're having a different artist do the theme song each week this season.

3. MitchO

MitchO Blasphemer: Uses DVR

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    The opening was done by Snoop Dogg, who was the guest on the show. I'm not a fan of his, but I still prefer it to the awful Randy Newman song.

The best part of the episode: The look on Natalie's face as Adrian shook all the guys in Murderous' posse. That's the kind of humor you can only get away with after establishing a fan connection with your character.

4. skinnyjm

skinnyjm I'm Grumpy???

Feb 10, 2005
    Milky Way
    Monk trying to speak, act and "hang" like a rapper had me laughing. :D

5. Beau_in_Austin

Beau_in_Austin New Member

Aug 6, 2006

Advertisements

It's a jungle out there.

Hey, I liked the Snoop intro, and was tickled by the fact that he wanted to participate so fully.

I could look it up easily, but since I'm here I'll ask - the first season, didn't they have a kind of a Leon Redbone sounding vocalist singing the theme?

6. MitchO

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    Yes. The current theme song started in the second season, which resulted in the in joke of Sarah Silverman's first appearance, where she says to Monk at the end:

"If you get a TV show, don't change the theme song."

Followed by one last playing of the original version.

I can't hear Randy Newman and not think about the Family Guy bit:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dO5mNIWyjcA

7. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    The snoop version is way better than the "normal" one they currently use.

8. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I really didn't like the intro and also hope it goes back to the music from previous seasons.

The black out thing - Monk not remembering he took the case - was pretty cute, but a bit overdone. "the check is in your hand...your hand".

I loved Randy doing the rap song! wheee, that was fun. "and I'm in a band and we sometimes do rap..." (or somethiing like that)

9. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Calendar problems in this episode...

The newspaper reporting Extra Large's death (presumably, the Monday paper after he was killed Sunday morning) was dated May 4.

Daylight Saving Time starts the second Sunday of March (March 11 in 2007).
    Secretaries' Day (now called Administrative Professionals' Day) is the Wednesday of the last full week of April (April 25 in 2007).

10. MitchO

Nov 7, 2003
    Lyndhurst NJ
    Thank you for reminding me Trainman .. .there's even a bigger problem with that newspaper.

How is there already a newspaper article while the accident is still on the street to be investigated?

11. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    Morning and evening editions? Just a guess.

Was the newspaper on the screen long enough for someone without TiVo or a DVR to read these details?

I'm not a fan of snoop dog and found myself FFx2 through all the music scenes.

12. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Yeah, I too zoomed through a lot of this... There were a couple of painful talking scenes that seemed to have no end. Too much useless exposition. It's definitely the worst episode I can remember.

13. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    high desert...
    maybe it's just me, but wouldn't you think that someone using the "special" kind of Jewelry that is rare, but exhibited by Murderous all the time, do nothing but exonerate him? And using the same method that was described in the song would be absurd.

Monk really lost it when they were in his house and he shook hands with them. He never even asked for a wipe! Natalie was great in this episode.

Those bobble-heads look nothing like Tony.

14. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    That occurred to me, too, but then I figured it was the next day when they were still at the crime scene.