Monk 1/9/09 Mr. Monk and the other bro

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by betts4, Jan 11, 2009.

1. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...

Advertisements

I know I don't have the title right.

I watched it this morning and couldn't even get thru half of it before I was just bored and sick by what was happening.

Sorry, it was not a good way to start off a last season. I won't give up hope that some of the next episodes will be better.

Where was Natalie!

2. Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Surely the gaol would have had a record of when the murdered woman last left it.

I would have turned Jack Jr. in but persuaded Leland to hold him pending the investigation into the murder.

3. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I really enjoyed this episode. Nothing more specific to say about it other than that, really.

4. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    +1

5. ruexp67

ruexp67 New Member

Jan 16, 2002

Advertisements

Steve Zahn got on my nerves. There was a decided lack of Natalie.

6. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    I liked Steve Zahn in that role myself. He's got the kind of panache that makes him and Monk so complementary.

Am I right in thinking we've never heard of another brother before this? This far into things, it seems a little corny to introduce one as if he was always there. Yeah, I know, Monk didn't know (we're meant to believe) that there was another brother. But given that we've even seen dad, it seems more like an artifact of storytelling than of the story that we never even got any clues about this. Unless we did and I forgot, in which case, egg on my face!

One fun moment for me. While other-brother's unloading bullets wastefully in a poor attempt at suppressive fire at someone who's clearly got a lot more ammo, I groan and say to the TV, "better watch your ammo, your clip's almost out now", but I didn't really expect that to come up. On TV clips usually last a long long time. I was very amused when in the next cut he was out. (If he'd been smart, he would have pretended to be out but save two or three bullets, then tried for one shot in the clear by surprise with them. Not good odds, but better than crouching behind a woodpile while someone with lots of ammo and lots of time meanders around it.)

7. Cragmyre

Cragmyre Member

Mar 8, 2004
    We heard about the brother in the episode where Mr. Monk spent Christmas with his father. His father even mentioned the name Jack.

8. Bulldog7

Bulldog7 New Member

Oct 6, 2002
    Fremont, CA
    Gaol?? What, did you just pop in from Old England??:D:D:D

The most suprising thing to me was that Monk was not nearly as OCD as usual, IMHO. And he hugged him in the end, well, in that Monk way of his.

I liked this episode.

9. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I had a hard time believing that Monk would not just turn him in and then solve the crime after the fact. But I can get over that and it was an ok episode. I think I liked the Christmas one a little better though. The hug at the end was really funny.

10. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    My favorite Natalie episode was the one with the kids who thought she was a MILF. Heck, I think she's a MILF!

She looked really good in that episode. The one with her as the lottery girl was great too.

11. Sherminator

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Why yes sir, I did, back in Apr '02, in fact. ;)

12. BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Him? He's my Pen Pal. :D

13. kmccbf

kmccbf New Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    It's even more fun if you take a close look. There is a point where Jack fires the gun and get to that position these guns go to when they are out ammo. You gun owners know the term, but it doesn't return to firing position. But you only see it for a fraction of a second, then they cut to a long shot of the three of them and the gun is back in firing condtion for two more shots, then and only then does Jack tell them he is out of ammo.

14. Sherminator

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, I noticed that also.:)

15. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    Well, after these reviews, I may go take another look and try to finish it. Maybe a second time is the charm.

I did like Jack in Monk's clothing. And Monk quizzing him about their dad.

16. Mike500

Mike500 Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Upstate...
    I prefer Ambrose......He's more like Mr. Monk and more interesting.

17. betts4

betts4 I am Spartacus!

Dec 26, 2005
    A Galaxy...
    I rewatched it last night and finished it. It was more amusing the more I watched, but I don't think it was a great episode.

This.

18. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Curmudgeon

Feb 22, 2002
    People's...
    Okay, then I must have forgotten that. Well, good on the writers for setting it up ahead of time and then paying it off. And bad on me for letting it slip.

19. UBUBUB

UBUBUB New Member

Dec 1, 2005
    This poorly-executed episode kinda reminded me of all of those standalone episodes from 70's sit-coms where the stars visit the previously-unseen wacky neighbors, and then the episode revolves around them until the final scene. This looked like a pilot for the Steve Zahn character. I won't watch.

20. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    yeah, but Monk has done this before. They brought in Jason Alexander for an episode. They had another big guest star come in and do a couple episodes before too but I can't remember his name. I'd consider Steve Zahn and JA to be on equal footing on the Hollywood B-list.