Monk 1/11/08 "Mr. Monk Joins a Cult"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by trainman, Jan 12, 2008.

1. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...

Advertisements

So, let's see, we have Howie Mandel, who does have OCD in real life, playing someone who doesn't have OCD.

I couldn't help noticing the following because it was all within about 30 seconds of screen time.

Culver City municipal bus:

[​IMG]

Los Angeles County "Metro Local" bus:

[​IMG]

Los Angeles County "Metro Rapid" bus (I assume the destination sign on the side would have been readable in HD):

[​IMG]

Santa Monica municipal bus:

[​IMG]

In conclusion, I don't have OCD, but I have something. :D

2. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    All with the show supposedly set in San Francisco. That's rather amusing. :)

3. Ivomir

Ivomir New Member

Apr 5, 2006
    That's right outside my office in Westwood, near UCLA. There really are such recruiting tents from time to time - be it for the local gym, or some religious organisation.
    Another episode was also shot there - the one where he couldn't sleep and witnessed a murder in a restaurant, and was looking for a taxi driver that had his wife's eyes.

4. moondoggie

moondoggie Active Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    Thanks for posting those pics. I was watching that and thought it wasn't San Francisco... You would think they would pay closer attention to that kind of stuff.

5. Tangent

Tangent Aluminum Falcon?!

Feb 25, 2005
    San Jacinto, CA

Advertisements

Was anybody else thinking "Scientology" as the basis for this cult? :p

6. TreborPugly

TreborPugly Unreal!

May 2, 2002
    Eastern TN
    Cults are cults. You could consider any one the basis for any other one. With the clothes, it's more like Hare Krishnas. Moonies are also known for the van technique. I don't think scientologists sell flowers or recruit by abductions.

7. Dreaday

Dreaday New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    I thought the episode Friday was pretty funny. I enjoyed the entire cult thing and thought that Howie Mandel did really well with his performance. I thought Randy was pretty funny too.

8. Sherminator

Sherminator ɹǝs∩ pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝᴚ

Nov 24, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, Randy doing the whole "hypnotizing the goldfish" thing was hilarious

9. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    To be fair, it's impossible to control what buses happen to be driving by unless you shut the street down, which would have driven the budget for the episode way up -- and at least 99% of "Monk" viewers wouldn't be paying attention to the buses in the background, and even if they did, they wouldn't know the paint schemes of the various San Francisco and Los Angeles-area buses anyway.

Even with the wrong buses, the street scene looked a lot better than it would have been if it were shot on a backlot (compare the Christmas episode, where the outdoor scenes were on fake streets and didn't look particularly realistic).

10. Jebberwocky!

Jebberwocky! Guest

Apr 16, 2005
    Randy is always hilarious - always!