Momentary freezing on HD w/HR10-250

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by klryan, May 1, 2009.

1. klryan

klryan New Member

May 1, 2009

Advertisements

I acquired a pre-owned HR10-250. Initially, I connected it to antenna for OTA and to the dish to receive programming guide info, but I left the original card in the unit. The unit worked fine for OTA for a couple months, but of course there was no Direct programming. Very recently the unit started "sticking" on the HD OTA channels. "Sticking" = freezing for about one second alternating with 10-20 seconds of proper play/viewing before freezing and releasing, etc.
    About the same time the unit would sponateously reboot almost every day.
    I ordered a new card from Direct and activated the receiver. The unit plays/views the SD Direct channels without "sticking". However, not only does HD OTA still "stick", but the few HD Direct channels also exhibit this exact "sticking" behavior.
    If the unit's hard drive is in imminent failure and the drive is the culprit, wouldn't the "sticking" occur for all channels, including SD ?
    Can anyone shed light on this problem ?

2. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    HD involves a higher data stream than SD, so the extra strain on the hard drive could be causing it. Sounds like time for a HDD upgrade to me.

3. Budget_HT

Budget_HT Heavy User (of TiVo)

Jan 2, 2001
    Renton, WA
    I had nearly identical symptoms. Over time, the problems occurred more often.

My problem was the power supply. After I repaired the power supply, all problems were resolved.

4. WaldorfSalad

WaldorfSalad New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    I had a similar problem (would hiccup on the HD channels, especially HDNet, for a second or two every 5-10 minutes after a few hours spent on that channel) plus after a few weeks I would get increasingly frequent breakups on D* and OTA HD channels unless I did a non-destructive C&D. These problems went away after I replaced the power supply. Try doing a non-destructive Clear & Delete (the middle of the three option IIRC) and see if that helps.

5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004

Advertisements

Three HD streams would max out at about 58 mbps in the worst-case scenario. Modern HDDs have burst throughput and sustained throughput specs that are scores of times higher than that, making HD vs. SD not a factor.

6. klryan

klryan New Member

May 1, 2009
    I initiated a "Clear Program Data @ To-do List" procedure. The unit is displaying a screen with that phrase pus "this may take over an hour". It displayed this for over 24 hrs., so I power cycled the unit (unplugged). It soon returned to that screen and is still stuck there (about 24 hrs. again!!).

Should it take this long to go through this level of clearing/resetting, or is this further indication the unit's drive is toast ?

7. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    When I did it it took somewhere between 3 and 12 hours (had to go to work, it was done when I got home). I think if you stop it it has to start over. It's probably not necessarily an indication the drive is toast that it might take so long. Usually when the drive dies you cant boot the OS and end up in a reboot loop. Hang in there, I've heard of it taking 72 hours or more.

The "sticking" problem itself is probably more of an indicator of drive problems than the length of time the "Clear" routine is taking, but there is no way to tell for sure. I guess it is possible that you may have a drive that has throughput issues that could manifest for HD and not as much for SD, and if so that definitely means the drive is not operating as it should, but it also does not mean that a Clear and Delete might not just fix it (which is the next step if the current "Clear" routine yields no help). You still have those options before you need to get medieval on it.

I do know that my spontaneous rebooting seems to have stopped since I did the "Clear" routine you are doing.