1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Momentary audio dropouts durning playback

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by videobruce, Mar 29, 2017.

1. videobruce

videobruce OTA is still alive

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    I don't believe this is related to the new F/W, I believe it was occurring before that. I'm getting audio dropouts that last less than one second on playback. It doesn't appear to be any specific channel. I'm OTA only. I don't see a pattern to it. The video is solid. Audio is thru a HDMI cable. I haven't tried a separate optical cable.

Watching the display on my Yamaha A/V receiver, it shows the loss of the audio stream. I have a 2nd deck, but it is only connected to a small receiver by analog cables.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    An audio loss long enough to cause the speaker LEDs to blink is not just a random dropout. Plus Premieres were never reported to have this problem, unlike the Roamio. Any RS Corrected or uncorrected errors? With good video I would not expect any.

First thing I would do is simply reseat the HDMI cable on both ends. Then try optical. You are fortunate that it is on a recording, so it is repeatable. My audio issues are random, not on recordings, and don't happen when I rewind.

3. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    If these are recorded in, why/how can it be any cable?

4. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm afraid there are too many possibilities to do more than try everything. The problem could anywhere from your feed to the hard drive.

5. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    I'm thinking it may be the station. :thumbsdown:

6. Apr 5, 2017 #6 of 16
    alexofindy

alexofindy Member

Apr 15, 2010
    This is just a guess: try changing the audio setting in the Tivo from Dobly to PCM. You'll lose whatever benefits the Dolby may be providing, but since the Tivo will presumably be doing less processing of the audio signal, maybe the dropouts will go away.

7. Apr 5, 2017 #7 of 16
    videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    I swapped the one in out bedroom with the one in the Living room to see if the problem continues.

There also is another 'audio' issue which I started another thread, but no solution.
    Excessive audio AGC during low bass notes reducing dialog and other sounds. Sometimes bad enough, you almost can't hear the audio until the bass notes go away, then the level recovers. I though at one tome it was the station, but it appears that isn't the case. No other device connected to the A/V receiver does this.

Very typical audio AGC action, but only from any bass notes, usually musical. I will try PCM, thou that would be a poor solution.

8. Apr 5, 2017 #8 of 16
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    A very poor solution. For an example of AVC, record a episode of Jimmy Kimmel Live. His audio is muted when there is a lot of background noise.

9. Apr 5, 2017 #9 of 16
    videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Are you sure you aren't hearing the same problem?? Where/when I hear it most is Once Upon a Time, but ABC programs (drama series) bring out the problem more so than CBS & NBC.
    But, trying PCM might narrow down what/where the problem is. ;)

AFA the dropouts, if it is the station, one would think video would be more susceptible to a 'dropout' than audio.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The only ABC 1P I have is for Designated Survivor. I watch it on weekends. No video or audio problems (except it has the lowest bit rate of all my channels). I have tried PCM and the audio level seemed to drop a lot. I can also make my AVR change to 2ch stereo, which also is low. Of course, everything seems lower if I kill 5.1 and DSP. I haven't watched OUAT since season 2. I don't watch Kimmel every night, just when he has a guest I like.

11. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    The unit that was in the bedroom already was setup for PCM due to some audio problem between the recorder & the audio receiver (HDMI to TV, analog from the TV to receiver).
    There was a 3-4db increase in level from PCM to Dolby Digital and a huge increase in bass level (sub-woofer bass). I never had to switch to PCM for my main setup.

Anyways, the dropout problem didn't occur at this sitting.

12. LPplayer

LPplayer New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I tolerated dropouts with my Premiere and 4 year old Yamaha AV receiver for far too long. Months ago I read something about how Tivo's audio sync isn't close to what the norm that cable and other digital sources have. Along with that I read that my Yamaha wasn't fully standardized HDMI. So earlier this evening I disconnected the HDMI from Tivo to Samsung TV connection and went with RCA cabling for composite and audio but keeping the optical audio from the tv to the receiver. Dropouts are gone and I can now hear Fareed on CNN and HD movies so much better. Problem solved.

13. videobruce

Nov 30, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Interesting. Can you supply links??

14. LPplayer

LPplayer New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I searched earlier today and was not able to find confirmation. I must mention that I do fault my Yamaha receiver for some of the problem because although the sound quality is much improved, it still "hiccups", but far less frequently. And, of course, the HD presentation of the Samsung is lost :(

15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You want to use component and optical audio from the Premiere to stay HD.

Scott

16. LPplayer

LPplayer New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Got it. Thanks!